summer nest box

doubled

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I use the same boxes summer & winter the only thing I change is what I put in them, summer I use course wood chips, not as fluffy, lays flat so more air in box, not as insulative. Winter I use hay Does usually make a hole down inside the rear of the box then covers with fur for insulation.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
doubled said:
I use the same boxes summer & winter the only thing I change is what I put in them, summer I use course wood chips, not as fluffy, lays flat so more air in box, not as insulative. Winter I use hay Does usually make a hole down inside the rear of the box then covers with fur for insulation.
I thought wood chips weren't really good for rabbits. You have had no problems with using it? I'll stick with straw in winter and summer. The doe will figure out how much she wants to use. And if she doesn't pull fur, I'll supply sterile cotton balls.

doubled

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
As long as they are hardwood chips and not cedar. Never had any problem, they will not ingest them. Been using them for many years :old , just do not use "sawdust" of any kind. :thumbsup

dewey

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
doubled said:
I thought wood chips weren't really good for rabbits. You have had no problems with using it? I'll stick with straw in winter and summer. The doe will figure out how much she wants to use. And if she doesn't pull fur, I'll supply sterile cotton balls.
This is an interesting read on the safety of shavings for anyone interested... http://www.raising-rabbits.com/pine-shavings.html

crazyturkeydesigns

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
dewey said:
Ms. Research said:
doubled said:
This is an interesting read on the safety of shavings for anyone interested... http://www.raising-rabbits.com/pine-shavings.html
We've never used anything but pine; it goes in the bottom of the nest boxes and in the drop pans. We put a little less in during the summer and a just a touch more in the winter (along with more straw). Never had a problem or known anyone who has. We use it for the turkeys too :lol: