Surprise! Unexpected boer babies Need help

hbmimsy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My alpine-mix doe that I bought in milk 4 months ago, just birthed a triplet set of boers. I certainly wasn't expecting that! Will they need extra milk? Mum is only half the size of my boer doe. I am considering bringing them indoors. The weather will get to around 40f tonight. Am I being paranoid? I did set up a heat lamp, but they are not using it. Ps, the doe in my pic is the mother.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
40' certainly isn't too cold, they are born with these neat fur coats :)

We've brought ours in the house if they are born in the evening to make sure they get dry. If we have any suspicion they aren't nursing quickly we will give a bottle until we are sure they are nursing well.

If you are dam raising, and they are nursing well and have nice full stomachs they should be fine.

hbmimsy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am just so used to kids being born in the spring and summer. So far they seem to be fat and happy. I am pretty worried that it will change when they get older since there is quite a difference in milk and meat goats. Thanks for the replies, I know I am being pretty paranoid.

Bedste

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They need the colostrum .... milk the mama and give them the milk... they need it right away

Bedste

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I dry mine off and bring them in the house for the first night regardless. I am over protective. Are you letting them nurse the mama? If yes..... and if you are comfy ... leave them with her. If no.... then milk her and give them it as much as possible.... She gives colostrum right away and the babies need it, all of it. I cant wait to see the pics. congrats. The first milk is always colostrum.

Bedste

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
just now read that you already know what you are doing..... sorry. We are expecting kids from all three Does this year. 2 does expected to deliver March 7 and one May 1st. Have a great day. Sorry I went on and on about the colostrum. I thought you were a newby. My apologies

hbmimsy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Mama has been giving them plenty of colostrum on her own, just fine. I've had kids born to me before. I would rather the mama give them as much first milk possible as it gives them a chance to bond. The baby bellies are nice and full and they are urinating.

hbmimsy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Cross posting. No problem. I was a farm hand on a goat farm for a year with an ex bf. I got rid of the bf, but love of goats remained.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
hbmimsy said:
I am just so used to kids being born in the spring and summer. So far they seem to be fat and happy. I am pretty worried that it will change when they get older since there is quite a difference in milk and meat goats. Thanks for the replies, I know I am being pretty paranoid.
Most of my friend kid out their dairy and meat goats inbetween Jan and April, some earlier and some later. I live in No. CA and can get cold here this time of year, but not horrible. Cold here is probably a low of mid 20s. The kids are fine as long as they have a place out of the rain and they are dry and not hungry.

I like to kid mine out later, but winter kids have benefits too. Most of mine will be March this year, which is early for me.

Have fun with your babies.