Surprise! Unexpected boer babies Need help

pinoak_ridge

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I was a farm hand on a goat farm for a year with an ex bf. I got rid of the bf, but love of goats remained.
Love that bluntness. Looks like you gleaned the best part-- You go girl! :D

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We only leave a heat lamp on the first day if it is 40 out. That is practivally a heat wave for us during kidding season. We are at 8 degrees this morning. I have 10 kids that are about 2 weeks old in an unheated barn with one small door opened for them to go outside whenever they want. During the day we open up a couple doors so there is more air flow and good ventilation.

I have 4 does due to kid in about 10 days, Kidding in single digits will be a bit chilly.
I was just talkign to someone that was kidding a couple night ago in WI and it was 20 below. They said the fluids on the doe and kid were freezing as they baby was being born, in the barn, with a heat lamp and a blow dryer to help dry the kid off. That is seriously cold.
If I had an experienced doe kid during the day and it was 40 out, I may not even bother bringing them in the barn assumming mom was doing her job and the kids were up and standing. But I do always have heatlamps and kidding pens available.

Congrats on the triplets.

Latest posts