Sweetened's 2016 kidding thread

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
You have a 2nd doe with milk, after colostrum, you could use her to help supplement milk for Mable if needed. I'd stop the cow milk ASAP. Just MO....

Since it is kidding season, I remind everyone to salvage some colostrum and next few days of milk for any kids that have a mom who needs help. We all get busy and forget. I mark mine with doe name & dates....then I know colostrum, milk day 2, 3, 4, etc. So I can keep a kid in need on the same concentration as it would get from own mom. I used to do this with my mini mares, also. You never know when you will need it, or anothers kid/foal.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is the nasty smelling poo more of a 'sour milk' smell or a 'something died in there' smell? If sour milk smell it could be the cow's milk or just too much milk.

The back legs issue is a new one for me. We're not selenium deficient here so I have absolutely NO experience with that kind of problem.

Just saw what MH posted - and agree totally! Use that other mama for a milk machine! And, I have colostrum in the freezer from last year....with the doe's name, the date frozen and what day it was collected.

I seem to remember that you take the natural approach but here's a good link with some ideas:
http://goat-link.com/content/view/46/75/#.Vo8igMvSkeE

Congrats on the two new ones! Mom will probably be fine...just watch her for a decrease in appetite or a lack of interest in her kids.

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
tmp_23211-20160107_212413-11292536019.jpg

Someone is spry enough tohave wandered into the kitchen and fallen in the dog bowl.

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ive been trying to milk her mother to no avail. I have no idea how she was part of a cheesery. She kicked me in the face, tries to break her neck when hobbled and sits/lays so you cant milk her anyway. I will start milking daisy tomorroe night. Ive always bottled on homo milk, figured raw would be better and I can afford it.her poop was smelling rancid like sour something, not rotting.

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
The new doeling is 3lbs 10.5oz, the boy is bigger, is this large for ND kids?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is a good size not too big not too small!
Some goats can act real stupid... it is like NO get off me where is my baby. :rolleyes:
Goats that we pull kids from that never see the kid.. stand there and milk like a dream... they think WE are the baby, and they call to us at milking time and talk to us while getting milked... even lift their leg out so it is easier for us to get too. Kind of funny really.:D
One doe took 3 people to hold her to get milked... :somad eventually she got it. Another doe did the same as yours, would lay down and act like she was having a tantrum. One doe if the feed pellets aren't "perfect" will throw food and lay down. Eventually they all learn how to behave.

We have some strong willed goats... but this old goat is WAY more stubborn. :lol:

The kids are adorable. Keep your chin up. Not posting much sweetie but I am following and thinking about you and how things are going throughout the day! So many of us know what you have gone through and you have many "friends" who are really hoping and praying for you! Your herdies luv ya! ;) :hugs

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Sweetened I have been reading all of this and my heart breaks for you. I was hoping that this kidding season would go off without a hitch.

I raise bottle babies on cow's milk all of the time with no problem so I doubt that Mabel's problem is milk related. However they can get diarrhea from too much milk and at times it can look like it has blood in it. Taking her temp will help with the puzzle.

Does she still want her bottle?

My dose for Bo-Se is much different than what goatgurl posted. I use 1 cc / 40 lbs. so your 1/4 cc is high, but not too high and if she was deficient that dose was probably a good call. A selenium deficiency can also cause poor sucking reflexes. Not sure why she would still be having problems as the BoSe works pretty fast. I am not sure I would give her anymore. But I live in a very deficient area and lost a kid last year from a selenium deficiency and that was after dosing the does a month before freshening and dosing the kids at 1 week old. I don't think the roll selenium plays is really given the importance it deserves.

Hope Mable recovers and that the rest of the kiddings go well. You certainly have been through a lot; you are due a break.:hugs