Tapeworms/Why not treat?

Britgoes2market

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hello!! So my new sheep we brought in have been in quarantine the last week, I noticed yesterday they have tapeworm segments in their feces. Came to the web to see which wormer was the best for this and saw that there is quite the debate on whether to treat or not to treat? I'm happy allowing them to build a tolerance to it, however I do have some concerns I wanted to chat about here?

1) The segments look an awful lot like what my feral cats can get? Does specific tapeworm not get treated and others treated?

2) I have never seen segments in my herd that we have housed on my pasture-will they too get this specific worm if I leave it untreated? They will remain in quarantine for the next couple of weeks.

3) They don't seem to be loosing weight-not sure if that is necessary info on weather to treat or not.

4) I spoke to my vet-who has a STRONG opinion on treating, and wants us to take them to the vet for a check up? Which I don't mind if it's necessary....

5)They are roughly 4/5 months old.

Britgoes2market

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
This is an Internet photo of what the worm looked like .....

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 8.49.15 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 8.49.15 AM.png
    54.9 KB · Views: 77

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I treat tapeworms with Safeguard. I’ve only had a few to have tapeworms and the safeguard cleared it up. I treated them 3 times, two weeks apart. I take fecal samples 2 weeks after the third does to make sure they are gone.

Britgoes2market

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I treat tapeworms with Safeguard. I’ve only had a few to have tapeworms and the safeguard cleared it up. I treated them 3 times, two weeks apart. I take fecal samples 2 weeks after the third does to make sure they are gone.
Do you take your samples in or do you look under a microscope yourself?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not quite the same, but we do not regularly treat any of our cattle for worms.... of any kind.... EXCEPT any/all animals brought in from off the farm..... bought animals all get treated..... to start them out somewhat "clean " so they can get a start to build immunities here... and so that the stress of buying and moving them here does not cause a "worm bloom" and wind up killing them...
I have no skin in the game.... If they were mine, they would have been already wormed.