Tea Tree oil? for cold sores?

RockyToggRanch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used tee tree oil to treat cold sores on goats? I have a goat with a boo boo on her upper lip. I'm thinking it's not sore mouth..but just in case, will the straight oil work?

It's uses to treat human cold sores according to fiasco farms site.

What about abreva?

ThornyRidgeII

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would be leary of straight tea tree oil.. I am sure it would burn like the dickens!!! would not want them to ingest the products.. I would dilute the tea tree oil before applying anywhere! it burns me.. I have used it on cuts.

mogolady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I use it full strength on my cold sores, bug bites, burns, etc. It burns a little but not bad. Although, it is always recommended to dilute pure essential oils in a carrier oil. You could dilute in a little sweet almond oil or even olive oil.

It works really well for lots. I just used some tonight when I burned my arm on the oven. :ep

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Not all essential oils need to be diluted. Lavender, tea tree, and peppermint can be used directly on the skin. I keep a mix of half tea tree and half lavender (lavender will balance most other oils and has many wonderful properties....antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral, etc.) in my medicine cabinet and use it for many, many things. I put it on mystery scabs on my buck's nose last year and on one doe who was living with him and both cleared up after 2 treatments. I saw no signs that it stung or irritated them. I use it all the time on myself with good results. Just a couple of drops on your fingertips, then rub (gently) it on the area. Don't forget to thoroughly wash your hands with good soap or you will remember the next time you rub an eye!

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Not all essential oils need to be diluted. Lavender, tea tree, and peppermint can be used directly on the skin. I keep a mix of half tea tree and half lavender (lavender will balance most other oils and has many wonderful properties....antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral, etc.) in my medicine cabinet and use it for many, many things. I put it on mystery scabs on my buck's nose last year and on one doe who was living with him and both cleared up after 2 treatments. I saw no signs that it stung or irritated them. I use it all the time on myself with good results. Just a couple of drops on your fingertips, then rub (gently) it on the area. Don't forget to thoroughly wash your hands with good soap or you will remember the next time you rub an eye!
:thumbsup

The dairy I bought my girls from uses essential oil as their main treatment for any ailment the goats had. That and garlic were were usually all that were ever needed.

RockyToggRanch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I sprinkled lavender EO around the stalls this morning to help all of the new mamas relax.

I think I'll try the tea tree oil on her scab and see if it helps.

I'd love to hear more oil remedies for goats....