Tell me about preggo bellies

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The rumen can be seen and felt on the left, and you feel babies on the right, correct? So as they grow through the pregnancy do they stay somewhat symetrical? Or does the growth show more on one side? My girls seem to be getting wider - but on both sides. I'm assuming babies are carried in the center, but because there isn't a rumen padding the right side, the babies can be seen and felt better there - is that right?

themrslove

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing! Hopefully someone can explain it. :D

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
It's pretty symmetrical. I try to palpate from the ventral (under) side in front of the udder, not through the topside.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah, pretty symmetrical here too. The weight of the babies tends to displace the rumen further to the left so as the right side widens so does the left. Like Kate said, you can feel kids just in front of the udder to the right. I've also had good luck feeling them slightly higher up toward the flank, almost directly in front of where the rear leg connects to the body. In later gestation you might be able to palpate on the top, directly opposite the rumen, but it's not the best place to start.

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ive never felt much til later in pregnacy. But thats were you will feel it...Agreed!

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I can usually start feeling them about 6 weeks out. Some does seem to be harder than others to palpate.

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well I'm less than three weeks out on one doe and four weeks on the other. I had no idea where to feel for them, so this gives me some good info to work with.

Thank you!!!!