Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I noticed that Lance has been drinking much more water than normal and to the point that when he has to go potty he has to go so bad that he gets frantic. Then the other night he came up and laid his head on my hand and I noticed his nose wasn't cool like usual. We were thinking diabetes so took him in to the vet for some tests. Turns out he has some kidney function issues plus he needs more nutrition as in the kind that comes in red meat and some additional sodium. We got some meds that he will be on for 30 days and then another blood test. We did manage to catch some urine to test and that was a first that he didn't quite understand. Our dogs have been on kibble that is based on salmon so instead of looking for stuff to do out in the cold today I'll head to Costco to get a different food for all of the dogs.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I noticed that Lance has been drinking much more water than normal and to the point that when he has to go potty he has to go so bad that he gets frantic. Then the other night he came up and laid his head on my hand and I noticed his nose wasn't cool like usual. We were thinking diabetes so took him in to the vet for some tests. Turns out he has some kidney function issues plus he needs more nutrition as in the kind that comes in red meat and some additional sodium. We got some meds that he will be on for 30 days and then another blood test. We did manage to catch some urine to test and that was a first that he didn't quite understand. Our dogs have been on kibble that is based on salmon so instead of looking for stuff to do out in the cold today I'll head to Costco to get a different food for all of the dogs.

Diamond Naturals with lamb is some good stuff. Sorry Lance is poorly, hopefully he gets back to normal soon.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mr. @Mike CHS (and others),

I hope your dog gets better. :fl

I hope I don't hijack your thread over this, but if you don't mind too much, would you share with us what you have fed and are now feeding your dogs? The reason I ask is that my Beautiful Gal and I are considering getting two Husky / Heinz 57 mix puppies soon and we would like to feed them healthy food. I know some on BYH have recommended a raw meat diet, and Miss @B&B Happy goats tried that with her dog Maisy, which helped the dog's allergies for awhile, but then the allergies started coming back, if I remember correctly. (Miss @B&B Happy goats, feel free to set the record straight regarding Maisy, her diet and her health.) If you prefer, Mike, you and others can post your comments on my journal.

Senile Texas Aggie

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mr. @Mike CHS (and others),

I hope your dog gets better. :fl

I hope I don't hijack your thread over this, but if you don't mind too much, would you share with us what you have fed and are now feeding your dogs? The reason I ask is that my Beautiful Gal and I are considering getting two Husky / Heinz 57 mix puppies soon and we would like to feed them healthy food. I know some on BYH have recommended a raw meat diet, and Miss @B&B Happy goats tried that with her dog Maisy, which helped the dog's allergies for awhile, but then the allergies started coming back, if I remember correctly. (Miss @B&B Happy goats, feel free to set the record straight regarding Maisy, her diet and her health.) If you prefer, Mike, you and others can post your comments on my journal.

Senile Texas Aggie
Missy still has alergic reactions to most everything period....tried her on raw food diet, did very well., but as she was able to spend more time outside her symptoms returned....now she eats some dry dog food with any good leftovers from us or raw scraps of meat....if the raw diet had been the answer for all problems i would of stuck with it permanently....still may toss her some raw steak once in a while....

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
That link @Latestarter posted is a good one. Lance is going on 4 years old and we have had all of our dogs on various versions of Costco's Natures Domain. Lance's ailment isn't serious and the meds are just the vet version of thiamine so it was easier to switch all of the dogs over. The LGDs get a lot more meat and eggs than the inside dogs get also.