The journey into the abyss of no return

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
A couple Christmases ago DS2 got DH a drone. Thought it would be handy for flying over the gully. He could not figure out how to fly it. Our sons uploaded it to his phone and programmed it. They had fun with it. The updrafts from the gully almost made it crash and he wasn't able to figure out how to pilot it so he stopped using it. It is packed for Texas but in those strong winds I am not sure it will be able to fly home! LOL

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looked up that drone and wow, very expensive for nowadays still. I was thinking also of using mine to check on animals across the properties, and keep watch on things. Hear something, send a drone up and it can cut across all this acreage faster and cheaper than I can an ATV. One of my pet peeves is driving across my properties where the driveways aren't at and it's 900' from pole barn to road, flying it is only 300'. When it comes time to put fence up it will help. Stand at one property pin and send drone up from another property pin, shoot an azimuth and that's the way I need to go with t-post or whatever. Cheaper than having a surveyor out here.
If it doesn't get banned, I think this is a great one. Lastly, it will be great in the summer time for when wildfire season kicks off I can spot wildfires and see what is going on.
https://store.dji.com/product/dji-mavic-3-classic-dji-rc?vid=125121
That's a good one as well. Like the 45 min flight time. I didn't look too closely at it, but if it has a "Return to Home" function you're golden. We had ours set up programmed flight around the ranch to watch the progress of the build.
Sounds to me like you can put it to good use for sure.

Sequestered Ridge Ranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That's a good one as well. Like the 45 min flight time. I didn't look too closely at it, but if it has a "Return to Home" function you're golden. We had ours set up programmed flight around the ranch to watch the progress of the build.
Sounds to me like you can put it to good use for sure.
Yeah it has the RTH. Problem is wife thinks I am trying to justify getting one with the perks. One day, one day.
https://support.dji.com/help/conten...ng=en&documentType=artical&paperDocType=paper

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score

Sequestered Ridge Ranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Right below my arm pit is the connection of the culverts which mark 20 feet from the bottom of the well.
KIMG04244.jpg

There is 30 tons of rock in that hole, I scooped each one out with the excavator till I got to the last bits in which I just dumped.
KIMG04211.jpg

This is more exciting than all y'all coffee combined in the morning
KIMG04233.jpg

Next up is to make a cone sloping away from the casing and put the liner down.
KIMG0427.JPG

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love all the big boy toys that you have. Sure makes homesteading easier. Not that this was easy, you have amazing talents, the know how to get things done and the equipment to make it happen.

This is so exciting, you have water! Are you planning to pipe the water to the house or is it too far away.

Sequestered Ridge Ranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I love all the big boy toys that you have. Sure makes homesteading easier. Not that this was easy, you have amazing talents, the know how to get things done and the equipment to make it happen.

This is so exciting, you have water! Are you planning to pipe the water to the house or is it too far away.
With great power comes great responsibility, with that said you either better have deep pockets to have it fixed when it breaks or you better know how to fix it yourself.
With that talent I thought about opening back up my Weldman's Contracting and have Weldman's Custom Welding & Fabrication, so that way I'm not leaning on one DBA to hold everything up on my talents, it's more multifaceted than before. Trying to shove everything I can do in one or two jars with labels on it doesn't work well.
It's too far away at 1.6 miles and across several peoples properties.

Sequestered Ridge Ranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Might look small, but that's a 15' x 30' liner. I have been recording and editing videos since burying this thing, soon as done I will release to compilation.
IMG_20240502_153710_00_6777.jpg

Sequestered Ridge Ranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Explain why the liner please?
Cause the hole that was opened down to the water would let surface water straight down to our drinking water instead of flowing to where ever it goes and being filtered down. Thus that would contaminate the well, literally would have cow schit going into our water. The liner stretches to where the soil wasn't disturbed at that leads to the water.
Most wells are sealed with bentonite around the casing so many feet to prevent well contamination from surface water. Wells are 4 to 6 inch holes, not looking like a asteroid hit earth and made a hole.