The journey into the abyss of no return

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you figured it out yet?

He’s telling you that he needs to go to work and he has decided the birds need his protection.

He has grown into a handsome young dog.
Doesn't want to go back out when he finds out I'm nearby, just wants to stay nearby me instead. Need to learn what it takes to keep him out there. Have to scare him off to go back out and he disappears off to who knows where since you can't just look out and see past 5 acres at a time if even that much.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don’t think scaring him away is a good thing. He won’t forget that and will dredge up that memory when you really need him to come to you.

Patience grasshopper.
Looks like since I put him away after the birds were in for the night he just stayed in his pen. Hmm might have something going here.

Found the guinea fowl stash of eggs, I disturbed them to get this picture, but for once they went broody and it’s in a damn good spot. Never seen predators where this nest is, wide open for easy target engagement and close by. Four taking turns which means the cat only got a male as it seems the females are staying hundreds of feet of away from where the last one was snatched.
IMG_20240731_080025_123.jpeg

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm with the others on the scare him away/back to work. Teach him "Go to work" -- take him there, tell him "watch em" / whatever, and leave. Repeat, repeat, etc - you know the drill as you've already trained him in so many things. This too needs "training" -- remember he's still a pup! Yeah I know hard to do sometimes.
My dogs know the difference between a walk to the barn - "Go Barn" and time to work - "Let's get sheep" -- of course they're not LGDs but I'd suspect that type of learning is the same.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm with the others on the scare him away/back to work. Teach him "Go to work" -- take him there, tell him "watch em" / whatever, and leave. Repeat, repeat, etc - you know the drill as you've already trained him in so many things. This too needs "training" -- remember he's still a pup! Yeah I know hard to do sometimes.
Yeah I tried that, guess I need to keep trying. Caught him trying to jump the fence this morning and scolded him for it, so far still in. In a few I will let him out and take him over to try again.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah I tried that, guess I need to keep trying. Caught him trying to jump the fence this morning and scolded him for it, so far still in. In a few I will let him out and take him over to try again.
I know that only too well. They learn things fast and then we expect them to learn things we hardly work on comparatively just because they are SO GOOD at the other stuff. Yuppers - that's me and Zo.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
According to tracking numbers all "cease and desist" letters were delivered and signed for yesterday. Now they are heading back to town to try to retaliate, when they see no course of action this could get fun. It's as I tossed a pebble in their swimming pool.
Next course of action is filing for preliminary injunction. When they get served with a summons to show up it will be as if I tossed a boulder in it.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
I believe this will help with training Pooch. Seems to be willing to "guard" now as he sits/lays watching the birds and will go nuts trying to get over the fence when they are too far away.
Screenshot 2024-08-03 at 07-05-55 ONETIGRIS FIRE WATCHER 2.0 No Pull Dog Harness Grey Large 27...png