The journey into the abyss of no return

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have purchased drop gates and a folding end gate for my sheep handling equipment. I link them together with hog panels, a half panel for a short span so I can trap them in a small space.

I have 2 of these.

IMG_6983.png

One of these

IMG_6985.png

One of these

IMG_6984.png

Pen, leads to a Half hog panel-1 guillotine gate, then2 hog panels, then 1 guillotine gate, half hog panel, then stop gate, half hog panel, then sorting gate.

With your skills, you could make these. They have tabs on them for connecting the pieces together by dropping rods in the tab holes. Hog panels don’t have tabs, so it’s all tied together with hay string and T-posts.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The sorting gate opens up to either the pasture or to a small holding pen where I can back the trailer in up close and run hog panels from sorting gate to trailer. For the gap between trailer and ground, I place feed bags stuffed with feed bags for a visual barrier. Eh. It works.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
To add more complexity to problems, Pooch has changed to a dog I don't recognize anymore. Jumps 4 feet fence not a problem which I expected and can fix, doesn't listen to me anymore, got out yesterday evening and killed a guinea fowl.
Wife thinks cause he was playing with it, I think it was intent cause they fly very well and aren't easy to get. Also think since the wife is letting him out cause she thinks he isn't getting out enough that all training is being eroded.
Going to take that dead guinea fowl and tie it to his neck and see if that works.

Last edited:

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here’s some of what I set up. This is weighing- you can see the scale in the small chute. Stop gate and guillotine gates (like @Baymule ). I have used hog panels, but am adding the Premier 1 as I go here and there.

IMG_7227.jpeg
IMG_7229.jpeg

Good view of the scale.
I don’t have the sort gate - yet - that’s next on my list. For the time being I can set up the same thing w/o the scale and just open one of the side panels to sort.
Premier also has a spiral wire thingie (technical term 🤣) that works great connecting hog panels.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use panels from my old mini horse days...similar to a smaller pole gate, look wise -- with connector hooks on ends. They get used for loading channels, sorting and making birthing jugs! Fast fence repair, too 😁. Only 3' tall, 7 or 8' long....very handy. I can hook them into any configuration. Strong, too.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hogs work better when they can't see out, that is why pig boards are solid. Hogs are so powerful that light weight portable pens won't hld them. Since you can weld, you might be better off using old gates and metal fencing to make yur own. Then put plywood over the frames with U-bolts. (You will be able to figure out something better, I only suggest stuff that I can do on my own.) Or set up a very small area where the hogs pack tight and then work them that way. Actually the best worming method for hiogs is the add to water method that FarmerJan outlined. It's the easiest way to go.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Due to complaints of of "dust" that are being made to a certain party that is getting back to me I have decided the be nice and put water down to keep it down. I've got 1500 gallons in my septic tank ready to go I'm pumping now to do my civic duty :gig

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Finally found what got the guinea fowl the other day that was so fast that Pooch didn’t even alert to it. Thing is I’m more alert and faster than a LGD if I’m in the same vicinity.
Before Pooch could alert, the geese went off and I covered 300’ before this critter knew what was upon him. By the time he knew he dropped the guinea fowl and started a full run, nope I had the high ground. Sweet dreams.
IMG_0605.jpeg
IMG_0606.jpeg