The journey into the abyss of no return

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got a lot of backlash for trying to sell those dog houses on FB calling me cruel and inhumane, others exclaiming they are such a good dog owner cause their dog stays in the house with them like family for this weather.
Of course that’s FB and keyboard warriors. I’d think folks at auction may be interested. Totally different audience than FB.
Just because someone has a doghouse doesn’t mean they don’t let their dog in the house. LOL on FB call it a puppy play house and they’d like it.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Done, next…
IMG_0705.jpeg
IMG_0711.jpeg
IMG_0690.jpeg
IMG_0689.jpeg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Couple of things... having the rounded sides, loses some space for calves... they need to be able to stand up... hind end first, and they will not get as close to the sides if they feel that they do not have the "head space"... and not as many will go in because of the lack of "upper body space" for movement.

The sloped roof will allow for the shelter to be faced towards the sun... and will allow the sun to shine into the shelter further... it will reflect off the back and sides with the sloped roof.... it is the same idea as the solar panels that move to follow the sun... to get the most use... well, if the shelter faces the southern direction, the sun will get in there "deeper" and warm it more. The depth of most are designed for the sun to be able to reach into the back of the building during the winter due to the height of the winter sun, and the summer sun will be higher and the angle is such so it won't reach in so far to overheat the back inside.
That is the same principle of longer overhangs on roof's of houses... to shade the windows of the house from the summer sun and allow the winter sun to shine in ... many that will have slate or some sort of "rock" floor so it will passively absorb the heat that shines on it. This is due to the angle of the sun at different seasons.

Sloped roofs also allow for better air movement.... the warmer, moister, and more ammonia smells will flow up along the roofline and out...

I am not being critical.... just things that you may not think about because of not having worked with animals like that....

Animals like cattle do not like "deep" shelters as they will feel more trapped.... basically most calves need more "windbreak type protection" than they need deep covered protection; if that makes sense.

I have no doubt that your welding and metal fabrication is much better than using lumber.... and the heavier metal will stand up longer.

Can you combine the ideas and have a 3 ft straight up wall with the rounded top so it is 5-6-7 ft tall inside? That still allows for a roof that will shed the snow, protect against the wind, and give more inside usable space.

Like putting a rounded top on top of a "pony wall"....

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
How tall at center peak is that one pictured?
It's at 42 inches
Couple of things... having the rounded sides, loses some space for calves... they need to be able to stand up... hind end first, and they will not get as close to the sides if they feel that they do not have the "head space"... and not as many will go in because of the lack of "upper body space" for movement.

The sloped roof will allow for the shelter to be faced towards the sun... and will allow the sun to shine into the shelter further... it will reflect off the back and sides with the sloped roof.... it is the same idea as the solar panels that move to follow the sun... to get the most use... well, if the shelter faces the southern direction, the sun will get in there "deeper" and warm it more. The depth of most are designed for the sun to be able to reach into the back of the building during the winter due to the height of the winter sun, and the summer sun will be higher and the angle is such so it won't reach in so far to overheat the back inside.
That is the same principle of longer overhangs on roof's of houses... to shade the windows of the house from the summer sun and allow the winter sun to shine in ... many that will have slate or some sort of "rock" floor so it will passively absorb the heat that shines on it. This is due to the angle of the sun at different seasons.

Sloped roofs also allow for better air movement.... the warmer, moister, and more ammonia smells will flow up along the roofline and out...

I am not being critical.... just things that you may not think about because of not having worked with animals like that....

Animals like cattle do not like "deep" shelters as they will feel more trapped.... basically most calves need more "windbreak type protection" than they need deep covered protection; if that makes sense.

I have no doubt that your welding and metal fabrication is much better than using lumber.... and the heavier metal will stand up longer.

Can you combine the ideas and have a 3 ft straight up wall with the rounded top so it is 5-6-7 ft tall inside? That still allows for a roof that will shed the snow, protect against the wind, and give more inside usable space.

Like putting a rounded top on top of a "pony wall"....
I appreciate this as I see everyone selling these as the same as I am building in size and it's why I thought, maybe this could be for same thing based on size. A lot of these are 3' on the side walls or less, definitely not shallow.
If it's best to build them like you are saying, seems folks already got plenty of those around here as I drive by one right by the business highway in town.
No use in trying to reinvent the wheel. No one does goats, pigs or sheep here, very rare to find such and as time goes on it's fading fast.
Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 18-46-03 Facebook.png

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
This doesn't make a bit of sense...
Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 18-43-45 durafend_25lb_0622.pdf.png

Suppose to feed with Type B should I feed Type C, WTF is this B & C should it be fed with same feed this label is on or should it be fed consecutively? Very convoluted.