The journey into the abyss of no return

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase...tell your wife she is WAAAAAAYYYYY ahead of me when it comes to mechanics... I'll hire her if you aren't interested...!!!!!!
Thanks,
We use to travel and I turned wrenches in a area, but once the area got wind it exploded from one month to 3 months later cause it didn't stop at wrenching. It turned to welding (aluminum,steel, stainless), electrical wiring, retainers to keeping watch on diving/fishing vessels and custom building things.
I didn't do just diving/fishing vessels, it ranged to their personal vehicles, their family vehicles, any machinery they owned to tractors, farm equipment and snowballed. Days on end turned to weeks on end to months on end of not stopping.

Had one guy I kept his ranching equipment going, tractors, hay baler, backhoe etc and I swear he would break things to converse with me. Over the years we became friends more of a father figure since he was in his 70's more than my dad was and he was Vietnam vet too. He even gave my wife "the speech" before we got married and as a dad would checked her out and had a conversation as a dad would.
Well amongst all this he said if he ever quit ranching and move to Arizona he would drop off his backhoe at my place in Montana. Well he passed away couple of years ago, was buried in Arizona and that backhoe never made it here, but his wife wanted to know if I wanted anything.
Told her I would buy that backhoe so the joke could be fulfilled, didn't need the backhoe but I made a promise to make it happen. Six thousand dollars later that backhoe is sitting here in my yard as promised, his wife and my wife and I still converse about things.
backhoe.jpg

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Pulled two transmissions, drove 1500 miles for a 3rd one, had a driveshaft custom shortened, installed the 3rd one all for nothing.
It was a rear axle that snapped, I guess by locking the front rear axle is how it was able to get home when I thought it was the transmission. Damn I hate being deaf and unable to hear where sound originates from cause sure sounded like the transmission let loose when it did.

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Plan F (Fk it)
Pull the Spicer QR100's off and slap my Eaton RS404's off of another semi I have. Swap the air pods out too(the little doo hickeys that stops the rig and is parking brake). All has 1760's (numbers of the sizes on the yokes) between the two. Going from 3:42 to 4:10 ratio is not what I wanted, but I can now set the rig to high idle pull the PTO on, drop it in gear, get out and pull up lawn chair drinking a bourbon as it dumps and spreads for me.
Better than watching dirt dry.

Other news, the pig mania didn't go well, they weren't having that food despite being starved for a day so I couldn't stick any of them. Stock trailer it is.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pour on ivermectin might be easier. I only raised 2 or 3 pigs at a time. I put apple flavored horse ivermectin in a biscuit and tossed each one a “treat”. Jabbing a pig with a needle through that tough hide, into fat, might be harder than expected. Just don’t poke the meat!

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Pour on ivermectin might be easier. I only raised 2 or 3 pigs at a time. I put apple flavored horse ivermectin in a biscuit and tossed each one a “treat”. Jabbing a pig with a needle through that tough hide, into fat, might be harder than expected. Just don’t poke the meat!
I was aiming for the neck and heard that it would burn them if you poured it on them and won't be absorbed based on the them not having pores in their skin.
Was easy poking, I went into the neck area.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The only good pour on will do for hogs is for lice... very little will be absorbed into the skin if any. Hogs are either "feed through" or injected... same with sheep... drench or injectible for proper dosing... pour on will work on parasites like lice and such. Although I think it works a bit on hair sheep... but not on wooled sheep. And injectible is not even recommended as a way to worm sheep or goats routinely. Feed through or drenches get to the worms right in the gut tract which is the fastest and most effective way.
Funny, never had trouble getting the hogs to eat anything even with the wormer in it... but the apple flavored horse kind would be a good way to do it...

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Scrap the axle swap idea, I found some differentials in the next town over that will bolt into the current axle housing with better ratio than current ones for more torque. Went from 3:42 to 3:73 which means can still do 75 mph on the freeway and let the dump truck crawl as I watch.
Drained the oil out the axles and I can already see pieces of the carnage in one axle fall out the drain plug. I feel like a little boy on Christmas morning waiting to open presents up except with will be a axle housing to see carnage is my present.

Latest posts