The Never-ending Post Hole Augering Drama at Lupin Farm

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Uh oh... The tractor has been turned off after the first post. That's not good. He was getting nice and deep in the soil but now the tractor is off :/

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sigh, because we have Pan Clay.. IE... great for making pots, not so much for putting fence posts in. Well we took a trip to Lutes Cedar and bought enough wood to buck fence the rest, there is about 15 posts for me to dig in myself but other than that, we're expecting an order on Tuesday for our extra wood. I will also be hand digging the posts for the riding ring because I am not going to settle for buck fence on my riding ring, it'll take up extra space and won't look as nice, HUMF!.

The horses are absolutely baked out there, I might have to go and get some horsey electrolytes for them later. And the CHICKENS omg, they're all like flopped on the cement floor in the coop trying to cool down. I'm going to get a nice 100ft extension cord and wall mounted fan for the coop this weekend so they don't up and die of heat exhaustion on me. The only ones who are nice and cool are the flipping ducks in their little swimming pool!

nightshade

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
so your still at it? that makes me feel better. I took a break for a few weeks. Let my back get a rest but now the power company caught up and I can probably put the rest of my horse fence in after next week. oh ya lol and I still have 50 goat fence posts to put in. I was kinda hoping teh pesky little farm fairies would come do it for me no luck though. Apparently it is too hot for them to do it to.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah, we're still at it LOL. Our Lutes Cedar order comes sometime this week, and tomorrow I will start putting together the cross sections to make the buck fence.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Me toooo! We peaked at 35 degrees today!

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am exhausted after reading this thread!!! I remember repairing and adding to my 40 year old cattle fencing that came with the property we bought 10 years ago. PHEW--wore me out EVERY time!!
I was fortunate that my mom took pity on me and bought me new fencing. (Suffice to say she could have bought me a very nice car for the same price.) It took awhile to hash out the details and to set a date, but, the story is that this company fenced in 4 acres in 4 days (including taking out all of the old stuff and piling up the extra old wood pieces) in F E B R U A R Y ! It was the week from hell as far as weather goes. We had EVERY kind of weather--warm, rain, sleet, snow--still, like the adage about the postoffice, they got the job done. The property looked like a war zone after the 1st day. This was 02-08 but I am still tilling and filling in ruts from the machinery.
Love the new fencing--so do my neighbors who comment on it...a lot. It has 8 in. wooden posts and 10 ft, 4-rail horizontals. Here's a pic that has it in the background of my temp. chicken coop:
DSC_0767.jpg

They call it "stallion fencing" and it stands 5 ft. It is atached with brackets that one person could repair without having another hold. I HAVE repaired 2 rail, 2 x 10 sections before. ...by myself...
I'm cheering you on from the sidelines. Good luck with all of your projects! :clap

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I love stallion fence, but it costs a *large* fortune haha. All we were trying to do was get 4 inch posts in for our electric wire, but alas, it is not to be! We decided to order more wood to do buck fences on all the long fence lines, I have one T-post line because the area gets very wet in the spring, this line will probably become buck fence next year if I can be arsed. The smaller lines that divide up fields I will dig by hand. I will be digging the riding ring by hand too LOL, can't wait!

Our extra poles for the buck fence cost a whopping $960 extra. The original posts were around $1000