There is a goat in our n'hood that needs a lifestyle upgrade...help!

becksy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
awww... the poor thing :( makes you wonder how he's got away with it for so long! and why the hell do people keep animals if they dont want to care for them. She's beautiful, I hope if you decide to take her that he'll let you.

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I bet the old man does not have the money to feed them, not saying that is right. Maybe he would like to have the money and you could save the goat.

Kelly G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I think money is an issue for him - to an extent. This man is, no doubt, very poor. But I do believe he thinks this is an acceptable way to keep the animals.

I have lived in this area for for nearly 10 years - and he has always had various animals in various stages of hunger and neglect.

Animal Control knows him well.

Kelly G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
kimmyh said:
Do you have a local SPCA?
Yes, we do. They refer you to Animal Control when it involves livestock in this county.

I'm off to feed her again this morning.

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The SPCA used to take that approach around here, until enough people went in with complaints and pictures.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
The SPCA in my county won't touch livestock either. They refer you to the county animal control and they won't do much of anything either. If you want to help a neglected animal in my county, you have to do it yourself in the middle of the night (which I honestly have never done YET).

We had a problem with a man neglecting alpacas in our county. The best thing he did was move to another county that wouldn't put up with it. The alpacas did get rescued in the other county and the man was charged with neglect and animal cruelty.

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Orrrrrrrrr you can contact the local news outlets. That is what some peole did a few years ago in my area when some horses were being neglected. Boy, once the story hit the papers, the Animal Control people were all over it.

Kelly G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm working on some options...and the news is a GREAT idea!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
If you could find people who would take in all the animals so animal control won't have to deal with it, they may help more.

I was involved with an alpaca rescue and animal control of that county was willing to move them out of there fast because we had offered to take the alpacas and care for them. All they had to do was force the guy to hand them over.