There's gonna be some tears...

Marianne

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
6717_ollie.jpg

6717_eli.jpg

Just can't get it through my head and heart that I can't keep them ALL. We love every one of our new babies, but these two bucklings born in April (2013 kidding season--one brown and the black one on the left) will have to find new homes. Hubby says "we have enough bucks", and he's right. How can you be sure you've found good homes? This is absolutely the WORSE part of goat-keeping! Just look at those sweet faces.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I know how you feel. It's our first year with baby goats, and I bottle fed each one, they are like my children. I start getting anxiety when I think of having to sell one!

sprocket

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion in this thread...but have you considered wethering them and raising them up to 30-40lbs and then putting them in the freezer? It's very nice meat - we prefer it to lamb.

Of course, if you've already named them...that's probably going to be difficult. We found that out the hard way and just use "Boy #1" through "Boy #X" or sometimes just "Dinner".

Marianne

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Oh gosh...better only sell to vegetarians!

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I just called my DH in to see your photos and posts and he says: that sounds like YOU!!

I know just what you mean.

I've had to sell some of my kids too, and I wonder if the people who buy them have enough sense and money to take good care of them. As you know, goat meds and proper care can be expensive. Some people buy the goat and then go: WHAT NOW???

So in short, you have my sympathy, I have been there too.

DonnaBelle

Mossy Stone Farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It is always the worste day of my life when i have to say goodbye to my goatie charges, I love and hug them and wish them well...

I do try really hard to find good homes for the pet wethers, that go...

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
sprocket said:
This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion in this thread...but have you considered wethering them and raising them up to 30-40lbs and then putting them in the freezer? It's very nice meat - we prefer it to lamb.

Of course, if you've already named them...that's probably going to be difficult. We found that out the hard way and just use "Boy #1" through "Boy #X" or sometimes just "Dinner".
I do the same, but last year one buckling that was freezer bound was determined to be my best friend. No matter how much I ignored him (dipped cord and never ever looked at him again), he was a constant "pest". He would rub on me, head bump me, pull on my pants leg, follow me, and drive me crazy. And it didn't help that he was cute. Of all the kids in the field he was the friendliest, and his brother and mom are both brats so I don't get it. We did eventually send him to "freezer camp" but he was a hard one. I am very unattached to the ones I raise for meat, no names and no attention and for us they are dam raised as well, at least for now.

I LOVE goat meat, much better than lamb.

meme

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have to sell our buckling soon, and I dread it every day. :( Of course he is more lovable than his two sisters too. :rolleyes:

rinksgi

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh, man, that would be hard. We have one that may end up going to freezer camp. If so, I think I will try to find someone to take him for the last week or so and then do the deed for part of the meat.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I raise lambs Bc I think I would have same issues with goats. And another way to look at it is Imo its better they go safely to my freezers than to be abused or neglected or simply passed to owner to owner.....