"TO ALL NEWBIE GOAT OWNERS GIVING IM SHOTS"

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
kevin said:
Look who I get to give 11 ml. of BO-SE to next! wish me luck. This time its goin' in the neck.
I dunno what dosage you're using, but I give 1ml/40lbs, and I give it SQ -- not IM.

Does that goat weigh 440lbs? I kinda doubt it..

You can OD on selenium, ya know.

kapfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I thought it looked like a lot but this is the dose the vet gave us for a 300 lb buck. She said we live in a selenium deficient area!

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Most Americans live in a selenium deficient area..

I've never Bo-Se'd a goat that big, but everything I've read about Bo-Se and goats would indicate the dosage to be about 7.5ml for a 300lb goat..

Just the fact that it's 11ml seems weird to me.. Figuring a dosage at 1ml/25lbs would indicate 12ml, and 1ml/30lbs would indicate 10ml... Giving 11ml to 300lbs works out to 1ml/27.27272727...lbs of goat.

That just seems.....weird. Appears to be a really arbitrary number.

I'd be inclined to call my vet back and ask how they came to that number, if only to satisfy my own curiosity. In fact, I'd love it if you would call your vet back to satisfy my curiosity. :gig

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I give BoSE at the rate of 1ml per 40lbs, at 11ml you are vaccinating a 445lb goat?

kapfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I just read the previous posts. I had my wife pick up the bo-se shots and said the vet gave:

3 ml. for a 65 lb. buck
8 ml. for a 160 lb. doe
11ml. for a 250 lb. buck

(we have absolutly no way to weigh him, going by guess. We figured he was between 250 and 300 lbs. so she got dose for 250 lb. goat.)

Will 1-2 ml less make any difference between 250# and 300#?

I called the vet, she said goats get these doses because they differ from other animals? They give 5ml/100#goat

I have been looking into bo-se doses by other vets and they are same as or real close to what you guys said.Hmmm, there is something fishy going on here.

Blon Dalone

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
HaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!Great photo Kevin, good luck. 11 mls is alot to be placing in one muscle at one time. Am I wrong? Opinions anyone? And to Tarann...not unusual to feel squeamish about giving shots to your own animals... I've been shooting animals for 15 years (but not goats) and I can't stand shooting my own.

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
OMG, okay her dosage is a lot different that what we give, at .025 per pound. BUT if you are only giving it once/twice a year you might not kill the goats. If you are giving it every 2 months the way we do it, a lot of goats would be dieing horrible deaths. And by the way, the only animals I give BoSE to are goats. SQ delivery would be really important if you are going to overload the goats-IMHO.

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
BoSE is NOT in the muscle, it is under the skin, so that at gradually enters the blood stream. Remember IV fast, IM moderately fast, SQ slow delivery.

Latest posts