Udder wash udderly necessary?

Lil Chickie Mama

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Before I begin, forgive my ignorance...
I keep reading about using an udder wash before and after milking, or dipping the teats in the wash after milking. I know this is to prevent mastitis and other infection, but is her own milk that bad for her? I'm just asking because as a human person (yes I know, different mammal = different ailments/causes) a lactating mother is NOT supposed to use much soap when washing her...er...milk producing areas...sorry... Anyway, it is even suggested that she rub some of the milk back onto herself after a feeding to moisturize and prevent mastitis and such. The breastmilk is naturally antibacterial (don't get me started on some of the things I've heard it used for...sheesh) so it is beneficial. Is this very different with goats? I guess so, but I figured I should ask the experts. Again, sorry for my ignorance. :hu

MReit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Most farmers I know will use it for their cows, I don't know about goats. But I feel it is important on animals because they always have the possibility of getting dirty, and they do. We don't need it because our "parts" arn't being drug around manure/mud/flies etc all day. The cows don't mind it and in the winter they make a thicker type that even helps prevent chapping :) If the animals are in a pristine clean environment, then I could see some people not using any dip/spray but I know from experience it's darn hard to keep a cow clean even if your following it around with a fork/shovel..lol

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Washing teats (my experience is cows) not only cleans them so the milk is clean but, helps kill the bacteria on the teats that may find their way inside the teat canal and into the udder causing mastitis.

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
for a quick and easy wash - and i agree with F. Kitty - i took a tip from the breeder i got my sanaan from... non-alcohol baby wipes! actually having a box of them out in the barn is a life saver.

i use one or two and make sure their udders are clean, then use a clean/new paper towel to dry.

after i use the Fight-Bac spray which is easy and fun (for me not always for them!). we do a big udder wash every now and then - with a bucket of warm water, a drop of Dawn, and the smallest amount of bleach.

one of my buddies uses warm water and the sunday times on his cows - but the above was easiest for me.

and dont forget the "udder full" joke* - they love it
;-)

* see my signature

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
They do make udder wash and towels that are pre-wetted with it. Look in your local farm supply store to see if they carry them.

We use udder wash in water and paper towels. A clean towel for each cow and if they need more than one, back to the towel holder and pail of udder wash solution.

angelib1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Trying to remember back to when I had goats. I am pretty shure I just washed each goats udder with clean warm water and applied bag balm after milking to keep them from getting chapped.

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
They do make udder wash and towels that are pre-wetted with it.
and to be quite frank.... i'm not mature enough..i mean.... i'm too 'modest' to go into the farm store and ask for 'teat wipes!"

hee hee hee.... oh well. sometimes you have to laugh

;-)

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I got my recipe from www.fiascofarm.com. I am just milking one goat (for now! Raising up my second, plan on producing my own third....fourth.... :hide ) So I make up a little batch before each milking.

I use a glass peanut butter jar (a widemouth pint canning jar would work well) and I put one drop of a mild dish soap and 1/2 Tbsp Clorox bleach (Purex will do, but don't use store brands....the strength varies from batch to batch and you can burn the delicate skin and get more chapping problems) and 1 cup of lukewarm water. I put a small plastic cup (it is a lid from a bottle that holds about 1/2 cup, perfect size) and a small flannel cloth right in the jar, and it goes into my "milking kit."

I use the cloth to wash teats and udder before milking, and wipe down my hands since I had to pat and scratch everyone when getting the doe. I put the rag aside, not back in the jar. When I am done milking, I just take the plastic cup from the jar and dip the ends of the teats in the same solution. Done!

In winter, I end by rubbing a little milk on her teats after dipping them. No chapping so far.

I started out using paper towels, then I made up a bunch of cloths from a ripped flannel sheet. I just hemmed squares about 6" x 6" and they are perfect. I use them for everything, and love them for udder washing. I still buy paper towels, but continue to try to lessen my impact on the environment.

This system would be impractical for a larger dairy herd, but it is very simple to deal with in my kitchen for just our families' needs.

Lil Chickie Mama

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh thanks guys!!! I was thinking about the whole lying in the mud and muck thing after I posted it. Oops.
Ohiofarmgirl, I read your signature on previous posts I read too and I love it! Can't wait to try it out one day. I love goof-ball humor!

freemotion, I think I posted this just after reading about the teat wash solution by fiascofarms.com but thanks for the link again. I'm like you, I'll be using flannel wipes. I already have a bunch made up from when I made diapers and wipes. I make more all the time though so I can make some to keep separate for animal only use.

Thanks for all the replys!!! :hugs

Gatorpupsmom

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
They do make udder wash and towels that are pre-wetted with it.
and to be quite frank.... i'm not mature enough..i mean.... i'm too 'modest' to go into the farm store and ask for 'teat wipes!"

hee hee hee.... oh well. sometimes you have to laugh

;-)
Hee, hee, hee....this post made me snort!!! Now my coworkers are thinking I am crazy, and I can't even explain why I snorted, because I am not supposed to be on non-work websites at work.

Plus, then I would have to explain teat wipes, and it would just go downhill from there.

:D

Kim