UPDATE- WORMS HELP Diarrhea in goat kid -

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some molasses with a little water, syringe to mouth for couple days. It will help her energy levels, too. See if she gets by the worming. Dying worms put out a toxic...how many/ how much is what will possibly affect her. If she gets thru 24 hrs. Use some plain kefir by syringe...the probiotics will get her gut back into working mode.

Treat others at same time because if one, all has.

Update us. We're pulling for you.

SteepedInSheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Some molasses with a little water, syringe to mouth for couple days. It will help her energy levels, too. See if she gets by the worming. Dying worms put out a toxic...how many/ how much is what will possibly affect her. If she gets thru 24 hrs. Use some plain kefir by syringe...the probiotics will get her gut back into working mode.

Thanks!

SteepedInSheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score

She's still here and seems better! More perky, anyway. I dewormed her and the other goats all based on weight with ivermectin.

SteepedInSheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm so discouraged with goat keeping. Just lost that sweet doeling and my buck (whom I've made a thread about in the past) has been a constant struggle to keep healthy. Now he has patches of hair just coming off him now. Seems like I can't catch a break. 🥲

Skiesblue

Herd Master
Reaction score
It can be frustrating if you’ve done all you can. I don’t know much about goats. Have you checked your class of dewormer? If not google white vs clear dewormer. That should tell you what kills what. I’m assuming :rolleyes: the dewormer rules for goats are similar or the same as for sheep.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is the hair off in patches? Any specific area? Is he itchy? Spots raw or oozy? Rest of body hair -- smooth, brittle, etc?

Could be parasites, skin disorder, or vit/min deficiency. Not always owners fault as their own body may not absorb nutrients well. Plus bacteria, germs & bugs carry stuff around and are everywhere! Like flies & mosquitos 🥴

Remember, they can't verbalize how they feel. So it's some guessing, some knowledge, some trial & error, some luck. Medically there are skin scrapings, blood tests, etc. mostly back to our own experience. :hugs

Last edited:

SteepedInSheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Is the hair off in patches? Any specific area? Is he itchy? Spots raw or oozy? Rest of body hair -- smooth, brittle, etc?
It's patches. It's his neck and shoulder area. No raw or oozy. I checked for external bugs but don't see any. He does scratch himself on the fence but it's comparable to how often the rest of the goats do it so I don't think he's itchier than normal. His hair is pretty coarse so I would lean toward a mineral deficiency.... I just don't know which one. He has loose mineral all the time.
Remember, they can't verbalize how they feel. So it's some guessing, some knowledge, some trial & error, some luck. Medically there are skin scrapings, blood tests, etc. mostly back to our own experience. :hugs
Thank you. 💙

SteepedInSheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It can be frustrating if you’ve done all you can.
I feel that im making a good effort so that has added to my sadness and frustration. Plus I love my animals. I don't want them to do poorly or die.
I don’t know much about goats. Have you checked your class of dewormer? If not google white vs clear dewormer. That should tell you what kills what. I’m assuming :rolleyes: the dewormer rules for goats are similar or the same as for sheep.
Yes, thanks! I had to switch dewomers in the past for that reason.