Velveteen lops

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Anybody raising this breed? I recently visited the only "known" breeder of this breed in my province.

I found them very interesting but extremely costly.

Anyways would like to hear others experiences with this breed.

nicktide

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I picked one in West Virginia last week. very nice rabbit. Came with a pedigree. Looking for a doe now.

HeatherM

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I think they are very interesting rabbits. And yes, extremely costly. I think the lowest price I have seen on one was $50. I've come across a few sites where people have bought a couple and are working on breeding them to English Lops to "make" Velveteens, so if you're looking at getting them, I would be wary of the bloodlines.

nicktide

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If you go back enough generations all velveteens have an English Lop crossed with a mini rex. Then it takes about 4 generations of selective breeding to get a V Lop. It seems that alot of V Lop breeders that started with the an E Lop and Min Rex, are burned out by the time they get decent V Lops and sell out. If anyone knows of a breeder or someone seeling a doe in or near Maryuland, Please LMK.

kbhear80

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
nicktide said:
If you go back enough generations all velveteens have an English Lop crossed with a mini rex. Then it takes about 4 generations of selective breeding to get a V Lop. It seems that alot of V Lop breeders that started with the an E Lop and Min Rex, are burned out by the time they get decent V Lops and sell out. If anyone knows of a breeder or someone seeling a doe in or near Maryuland, Please LMK.
Unfortunitly you are very correct. I have known many people that start with the and than sell out after a few years. There are still a few breeders in michigan. i would track down the person who is presenting the lop and convention, might be your best bet for some really nice animals. I am currently doing the research on the Astrex rabbit so i understand how hard it is to locate a good established breeder for the newer breeds.

http://velveteenlopbreeders.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
http://www.hiddenvalleyrabbitryandfarm.com/velveteenlops.html (texas but the this was the nearest i can find to the breed originators)

Good luck and keep us updated with your search. Would love to see pictures!