Warning: This will make a person who doesn't own a goat cry

Theykeepmebusy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I was out checking on Lilly, she's going to pop soon, and I see the neighbor lady out with her goats, she never goes in the goat yard. She walks up to one of her does and grabs its tail, I'm moving closer to see, she's yanking on this tail, then reaches up and grabs a leg (kid) and yanks it out, swings it and lets it jerk stop 3 times!!! 3rd time she drops it on the ground!!! The doe dropped to the ground for 10 min. Lady walks out of the goat yard and back into her house after she washes her hands in the water out for her goats. When the doe get up (and they live a good distance) I can see all this bright red hanging/bubbled out from the doe!!! Takes her a while to get to her kid, I watched until I say the kid get up, it did not feed or try, but stood out in the yard, both doe and kid were in shock, IMO, this was yesterday. I have checked on her as close as I can all night. Last night I heard her crying out and screaming. This morning her and the kid are laid out in the yard :hit :hit I have tried talking to the woman, she acts like I am going to steal her goats and all I was trying to do was care for it, on her property. She speaks no English, her grandson said that grandma says the goat died because it was only 6 months old and was too young to have a baby. And she asked that I don't bother her about her goats anymore, this is apart of having them and they die all the time. :( :hit

getchasome

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
omg so she intentionally hurt them so they would die? Am I reading that right? That is so awful and sad

Theykeepmebusy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I think she thinks she's doing everything right? I couldn't believe what I saw. Even grabbing on the doe's tail? She tried to run, but couldn't. Her grandson told me she's had goats all her life and she won't change her ways. None of the family knows why she has them either. Grandson said she loses them to dogs,coyotes, and when they have babies, she just goes and buys more. They are re-bred soon after they kid, the buck runs with them. She thinks the buck protects them and gives her more. :( :/

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
One of the hardest things in life for me to accept/ignore/cry over is the intentional harming of animals or children.

There's nothing you can do about it. Unfortunately, people can do what they want to their animals, neglect or mistreat them and get away with.

You are dealing with ignorance and perhaps evil on a monumental scale when you see that sort of thing happen.

I hope you don't have to witness that again.

DonnaBelle

Theykeepmebusy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I feel helpless about it, I don't want to see it again and am working on getting some privacy fencing going on. I figure we are neighbors till the other leaves and her ways I don't want to witness.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
There has to be someone you can call about that especially if it's not the first time! :somad Call your local tv station's investigative reporter if no one else.

There's nothing you can do about it. Unfortunately, people can do what they want to their animals, neglect or mistreat them and get away with.

DonnaBelle
Sorry, but people CANNOT do that!

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ugh. That's sad. It's tough when an animal is considered livestock. I'd be tempted to call the county and see what they say as far as what their definition of animal cruelty is in regards to the situation...

Theykeepmebusy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If I witnessed her abuse it to death it would be a concern. I already called. Everyone has their own way of doing things, blah,blah,blah. It's a matter of getting off their butts and checking out it, is what I think. They did give her a call, and they were told they are going to the freezer for a summer bbq :/ A baby? So I would guess if I don't hurry up and get that fence put up, I will be witnessing this again. I hate that out of sight out of mind theory a lot right now.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I guess I should be glad that I live in a state where the mistreatment of all animals including livestock is a crime. And regardless of the fact that everyone has their own way of doing things there are some things that cross the line of the law....

Hope getting a privacy fence put up helps you.

eta: and regardless of if it's going to be bbq'ed in the future - they should be treated humanely during it's life. And who's to say her mistreatment won't result in it's death? Death is not always immediate. ok rant over...I'm gonna stop looking at this post...it upsets me too much

Theykeepmebusy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I started with wanting the fence because I'd like to keep her dust away from my dust as best I can, I have a gut instinct (more than ever now) that tells me to block what I can. I think the county doesn't like the out west people. When I first moved here I had purchased 2 Barbados and they were hunted down on my fenced property, my doe was shot right in the neck and my little guy was shot 2 times in the neck and 3 in the shoulder, I called the sheriff and it was a not on their list of things to do, but I demanded them to come out so they could take a report , I do have children. Then I was told it was probably just some bored kids trying to have fun on a summer day!!!! SSSOOOOO!!! But yea anyways, cause I'm a rambler, I learned then they don't do much unless it gets to the news, even then it's pushed out of the way fast. It's gotten to where people are shooting to kill over their copper in town and they are giving us out here the advice of that law, because of some "cult" going around cutting the necks on goats. " Just do your best to scare them from entering your property " Duh-her. :/ Protect, kill, shut up.....? I confused.

Latest posts