weird goat noises from expecting mom and other does.

ALEXthegoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a pygmy doe is due very soon. I don't have a due date. when I was just out in the goat pen, her and my other two does were making a very strange noise. I don't know how to describe it. an almost zebra-ish noise. what does this mean????

thanks

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
From what I hear, some goats will "snicker" just before going into labor. Maybe that's what it is?

I don't know why the others would be doing it though.

Sometimes they're just "talking" to each other. I know mine do :)

ALEXthegoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
why would other females participate in this though??

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
ALEXthegoat said:
why would other females participate in this though??
That I don't know...maybe they are just talking?

Although the day before my Lilly kidded everyone was extremely vocal (a lot more than normal). Don't know if it had anything to do with it or not as Lilly didn't participate in the noise making :hu

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
n.smithurmond said:
I guess I'd better look up zebra noises now... :p
I think Zebras sound like a cross between a horse snicker and a donkey bray. :cool:

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
There is a particular sound that goats only make to their babies. They will often do it a day or two before kidding and while they are in labor. I'm not sure how to describe it.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Ariel301 said:
There is a particular sound that goats only make to their babies. They will often do it a day or two before kidding and while they are in labor. I'm not sure how to describe it.
I just read about that in an article about a week ago (never witnessed it myself). They called it a mother snicker and said that would be the only time you would hear the goat do it.

Doesn't explain her other girls making the weird noise too when their not pregnant though :hu

Latest posts