What am I?????

chickenprnces

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Queen Mum said:
Definitely not Nubian. Possibly Alpine/La Mancha. She has alpine horns, Straight back and thick and a thin Alpine beard. Brush her when you get her and a lot of that wooly stuff will come out. And be sure she is treated for mites with injectible cydectin or Ivermectin. Cydectin is a bit harsh but it will get rid of internal and external parasites.

And get her on some really good minerals and kelp right away. She is really very pretty. How do her feet look?
I don't know how her feet are! She is not here till tomorrow! I have only seen pictures! Is the injectable the only thing that will work? Can I use the ivermectin pour on?

HB Sheep & Goat Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That wooly coat doesnt look like its worms. She definately has lamancha in
Her and I'm guessing the other part is angora or pygora. She is not lamancha and Nubian i don't think.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
The cydectin comes as a pour on but I understand cydectin is better dosed injectible. Ivermectin is better given orally, by my understanding for internal parasites.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
HB Sheep & Goat Farm said:
That wooly coat doesnt look like its worms. She definately has lamancha in
Her and I'm guessing the other part is angora or pygora. She is not lamancha and Nubian i don't think.
No, I wasn't saying the wooly coat looked like it was worms, I said that a neglected/starved goat has a starvation coat the is wooly because they grow the wool to keep warm due to lack of body fat. Starvation causes them to use up their fat and calcium reserves so they often loose all their hair. As a result they don't fight parasites well so they will most often have mites in that wooly coat.

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My doe, Dusty, who is ND/Alpine X w/ Angora/Fainter has a really curly wooly coat that looks a lot like this girls, so the Alpine or Angora may be pretty good guesses.

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
chickenprnces said:
I don't have more pictures yet! She doesn't come till tomorrow! The starvation coat thing would make sense as the woman that has her said she was emaciated when she took her! (she is a livestock rescue) She has been to the vet and the first time she went i'm guessing they would have noticed the womans goat was a sheep! So probably not that! I am trying to figure it out because I intend to breed her and want a buck that is a pure breed of one of her crosses to head the babies in a more pure direction. I can't seem to find anyone with lamancha's in my area so if the cross is alpine or nubian then I will have better luck!
Where are you located? If you add that into your profile, we can probably help point you in the direction of some breeders. You may even find someone here that has what you are looking for in a buck.

IMO - If you are going to breed her, I would use a lamancha buck for 1 primary reason. The more lamancha, the more likely you will keep the lamancha ears like they are supposed to be and not end up with airplane ears or something else.

Do you know how old she is?

chickenprnces

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am in Deerfield, NH! She is 3 years old and I was kinda planning on keeping the lamancha so breeders would be great! I pick her up at 3 - 4 this afternoon so I will try to post more pictures! I am told her coat is longer now than in the pictures I alerady posted so that might help better identify her other side! After talking to my vet I have decided not to dehorn her! I don't want her to be in pain or have holes in her head! He suggested cutting peices of garden hose and sticking them over the ends to cover he sharp points! I'm sooooo excited!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
chickenprnces said:
He suggested cutting peices of garden hose and sticking them over the ends to cover he sharp points! I'm sooooo excited!
Another member here uses bicycle handbar covers.

crazyland

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Some of mine have horns. I have yet to cover them in anything. While I prefer no horns, they came with them. They are not aggressive towards me and my children with them and are actually cautious. I have toyed with the idea of banding their horns. No holes.
Can't wait to see her later today. I hope she doesn't have a starvation coat and is just mixed with a wooly breed.