What am I?????

redtailgal

Reaction score
chickenprnces said:
I don't have more pictures yet! She doesn't come till tomorrow! The starvation coat thing would make sense as the woman that has her said she was emaciated when she took her! (she is a livestock rescue) She has been to the vet and the first time she went i'm guessing they would have noticed the womans goat was a sheep! So probably not that! I am trying to figure it out because I intend to breed her and want a buck that is a pure breed of one of her crosses to head the babies in a more pure direction. I can't seem to find anyone with lamancha's in my area so if the cross is alpine or nubian then I will have better luck!
I dont know about that. I've had several dog vets think that my black italian mastiff was a very large black lab, lol. She isnt. She is a well bred Italian Mastiff. Vets know what they see, and if they dont see a particular breed, they dont recognize it.

That said, Hubby noticed a beard on the critter. I think I will retract my statement about it being a sheep.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Coat looks like a thick cashmere to me. Any breed of goats can grow a cashmere undercoat in the winter months, it is not just cashmere goats that do this. I have a goat that does this in the winter...beautiful stuff.

Doesn't help you narrow down the breed but it helps you explain the fluff.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
OOOh cashmere, now that is something I had not thought of. That would be a really nice goat to have. She does have the right dorsal stripe but the wrong ears and horns. She could be a cashmere/alpine cross or a LaMancha cashmere cross. That would also explain why she looks more like a sheep.

Cashmere goats are such beautiful and fine animals. In that case, if I were you I would breed her to a Cashmere buck when she is in better condition.

But the rescuer did say she was emaciated. :hit

chickenprnces

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok! Here's my girl! The rescuer did a great job with her besides her coat! She is fat and happy and sweet and beautiful! Her coat however is matted pretty bad and i'm probably gonna have to have her sheared asap! I may have confused some people about her weight issue! She was emaciated when the rescuer got her.......1.5 years ago! She is 3 now! And she looks great! I wanna try and get her bred fast before she goes out of season till next fall!

5745_goat4.jpg

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
By gosh she does look like a cashmere La Mancha cross. The legs, the face and the coat are a dead giveaway for cashmere and the thinness of the face and ears are clear indicators of a La Mancha.

I wouldn't worry about her horns. You can use bicycle handlebar grips on the tips. Get the smaller size. What a beautiful girl you have there!

marlowmanor

Reaction score
I say pygora/lamancha mix. The angoras would have hair all the way down the legs and she does not, which is why I lean towards pygora. I had to actually look up both breeds to get a better idea of what they look like. Boy do I love BYH and learning about goats! :D

ETA: After looking at the cashmere goats that Queen Mum mentioned I can see where she may be right. Aren't cashmere pretty rare though?

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Queen Mum said:
By gosh she does look like a cashmere La Mancha cross. The legs, the face and the coat are a dead giveaway for cashmere and the thinness of the face and ears are clear indicators of a La Mancha.

I wouldn't worry about her horns. You can use bicycle handlebar grips on the tips. Get the smaller size. What a beautiful girl you have there!
From the picture it looks like she has already been using the bicycle grip on the horns.

chickenprnces

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
No the green things on her horns are rubber garden hose pieces that I put on her to move her!:D

marlowmanor

Reaction score
chickenprnces said:
No the green things on her horns are rubber garden hose pieces that I put on her to move her!:D
They seem to have served their purpose well!