What are your goats' names and why?

KinderKorner

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The first goat here is named Goatie. Because we couldn't think of a name and we would say, "Oh she is such a cute little goatie."

I'll be the first to say I'm not a really good namer. I had a female horse named Dukie (which means poop) :gig

The goats we bought came with names. So we name any babies from the line with relating names.

Such as one is named Lily. So we name all her babies something to do with plants or flowers. Such as Dandelion, or Jasmine.

We had a buck name Theo, and he has triplet bucklings so we named them Alvin, Theodore, and Simon.

Most all names here get shortened to something that ends with an "ie" sound, because it seems to roll off the tongue better.

Examples being,

Jacob to Jakie
Angeliese to Angie
Toby
Goatie
Jasmine to Jazzy
Percy
Oswald to Ozzie
Lily
Dandelion to Dandy
Iggy
Ruby
Calipso to Callie
Izzie
Elegance to Ellie

The list just goes on and on. :plbb

I've had too many to share them all but you get the idea.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bought 3 new goats this summer. The breeder has a background in horticulture and names all of his animals botanical names.
Zamia
Coleus
Rosmarinus.

First 3 we bought were already named:
Katie
Minnie
Ginger

Our first buck we named:
Rocky. He just looked like a Rocky. His registered name is Rocky Road like the ice cream.

Our second buck was already named. The breeder named all her animals that year after bodies of water
Caspian for the Caspian Sea.

All that have been born on our farm we don't have a particular reason. Just good solid "goat" sounding names :)
Cocoa
Buttercup
Cookie
Hazel
Taffy
Snowflake
Daisy
Buffy
Clara Belle
Clementine
Scooter
Big Brown

julierx1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Not the greatest namer in the world
Lucy ( just sounded good at the time)
Oreo ( black and white)
Jumpin Jack ( when I went to buy him the old owner put him on a leash and he literally jumped all the way to the truck)
Betty ( Old owner called her Betsy but that seemed to hard for my 5 yr old to get correct)
Lucy Belle ( named when I got her)
Bella (named already)
Lipstick "Lippy" (solid white w/pink lips as if she has lipstick on)
Bounce ( Nigerian Dwarf Buck names when I got him)
Zee
Chester ( off of gumsmoke)
Bailey

I did have 2 different goats named Gomer Pyle because my 5 yr old loves the show

and I have a baby calf living w/ my goats that we call Baabette!! She acts like a goat

FahrendorfFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Here on the ridge we raise Purebred Boers this year I bought out 2 different herds and only one bunch came with names the others had numbers so they got names

Bucks
Cutter he was a c-section baby
Titanium Motion or Titan larger of the twins

Does
Lucy- came with her name
Dot- she is a black roan came with the name
Motive for the motion- motive cause she had me so crazy i didn't need one
Patty- born on st patricks day
Little Lucy- She had a sister named ethel
Dazzle- had a sister named razzle
Georgia Peach- name for josh gracins greatest state of mind, she had a sister named colorado snowflake and a brother named tennessee whiskey
Miracle- cause she weighed 10lbs and her dam only weigh 60(complete accident)
Kat
Fancy pants- she is a caped doe split right in half red and white
Bree
Cameron- Her sires name is diez
Pushy-cause she is
Valentine- has a perfect heart on her forhead
Sunday- bought with name and she was born on a sunday
Red Nanny- its her name and quess what she is solid red, go figure

they have some interesting names i think

Fluffygal

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Cool post, fun to read all the names.

Mine are:
Bella - Pygmy doe, cus she is pretty girl
Oreo - 1/2 Pygmy / 1/2 ND, she made me think of Oreo cookies when I first saw dried up after she was born. She is tame but fiesty like her mom Bella.
Fiona - unregistered Nubian doe, I changed her name cus I did not like her orginal name of Larissa. She just looked more like Fiona. She is my luv bug and goofy girl. She cannot stand it if anyone else is getting my attention.
Abel - ND buck, just got him. Named him Abel because I promised my Dad that I am able to keep the herd small. Also, cus hopefully he is able to handle all those fiesty does.
Bebe - ND doeling, just got, she just looks like a Bebe and so cute and sweet.

marilyn1

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have 2 nigerian dwarf goats:
The boy came with the name Butter Ball. It was cute and fit him. He was rather round. My niece has a dog named that, So I wanted to change it.
The more I watched him he reminded me of a black and white calf :ya
He is black and white with white hairs all around his eyes which make his eyes look very large and round. So I started calling him MOO MOO. And it just stuck.

I couldn't remember the little girls name she came with. She is a sweet little petite thing brown and white and looks like a little antelope with kind of straight horns and a big white star in the middle of her face.
I thought to my self. your like a sunny day and always put a smile on my face :D. So Sunny Day became her name.

So I have Moo Moo and Sunny Day. A day never goes by that they don't make me laugh :love.

nmred

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have two nubian does that were named when we got them: Liza, the herd queen, and Charlotte.

We kept one of Liza's doelings and named her "Sweety" because I'm always calling the babies "sweety." As in, "come on, sweety, go see mama." She is really misnamed, though, as she is a brat and not sweet at all. She was bred this year, so I'm hoping that will calm her down.

We are planning on keeping one of Charlotte's bucklings this year. Thanks to one of the earlier posts from someone with a Charlotte who named her doeling Fern because that is the name of the girl in Charlotte's Web, I think I will call him Wilber, after the pig in the book. :) I think that will be cute!

After that, any we keep will be named after flowers/plants. I read somewhere where someone does that, and I thought it was a good idea. We'll see....we usually sell all our babies to a man who runs a petting zoo so only name the ones we keep.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Two of our three goats are registered, so they came with their names. They are my 9 year old's goats.

Trixie is really "Mullins Croft Trixie Pop." Her mom and grandma both have "pop" in their names. My daughter was going to call her something else all together as a call name, but Trixie stuck- and it really fits her. If we ever sell a registered buck out of her we want to call him "Pop Gun." Not sure on a doeling, but Pixie Pop, PopTart, and Popscicle have been discussed. Her 1/2 sister is Pop star.

Our wether is Riggs, but we usually call him "Little Boy." He's not little, but he's probably the only boy we will have around here for a long time. He's Boer/Nubian and a heart breaker.

Our ND is "Tanya's Dream Black Orchid" and we really liked Orchid, so we call her Orchy (Or- key). She is actually 1/2 owned by my 3 year old who shows her when he can- and he called her "Orchy" the first time we saw her before we even know we would get her.

rinksgi

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Our does are after flowers: Daisy May and Lilly Beth. Daisy just kidded two doelings, so they are Dahlia Cupcake(in honor of some friends-long story) and Buttercup(can't think of a good middle name). Our bucks are named after diciples: John Peter(the doeling's sire) and Andrew James, my 2 month old Nubian.

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We got two little doelings at the end of summer on my 3 year old's birthday so my girls got to name them. So we have a Lilac and Rose as luck would have it their favourite things to nibble on are...you guessed it Lilacs and Roses! They did a number on my grapes too...if I had a wether his name would have been Concord (concord grapes).

We pick up our two Nubian does on Saturday and are trying to find good flower names. Suggestion welcome! We have seriously considered naming them Thistle and Burdock in hopes that the trend would continue and that would be their favourite food as we have some GIANT thistles and big patches of burdock and I am getting really sick of picking burrs out of the GPs fur. :lol:

Latest posts