What is your "favorite" large breed of dairy goat?

greenfamilyfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It looks like it is going to be a toss-up between the Lamancha and Nubian. Mainly because I cannot find a Lamancha breeder (well... any "good" ones) in NC, SC, TN, or VA. My husband has been looking at Lamancha info all afternoon and he is just drawn to them, but we found a TON of Nubian breeders within our driving radius.

Cindiloohoo

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
greenfamilyfarms said:
It looks like it is going to be a toss-up between the Lamancha and Nubian. Mainly because I cannot find a Lamancha breeder (well... any "good" ones) in NC, SC, TN, or VA. My husband has been looking at Lamancha info all afternoon and he is just drawn to them, but we found a TON of Nubian breeders within our driving radius.
Look at www.fiascofarm.com for LaManchas. I think they are in East Tennessee and offer Spring kids for sale.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I like the LaManchas. I wanted Alpines when I first got goats, and the lady I bought my "starter herd" from had both...but the price was so incredibly great on the LaManchas and high on the Alpines that my husband thought we should just get the cheaper ones. So we did. I thought they were ugly at first, but now we really like them so much we're getting rid of everything we have that isn't LaMancha.

The ears grow on you. Now I think Nubians look weird with their floppy ears and long gangly legs. I also don't like how loud Nubians can be, and it seems like most of the ones I have met are...well...sort of idiots.

The best thing about the LaManchas is their temperament. They are easy going, quiet, and love their people. They are like a golden retriever dog, always happy to see you. Mine all know their names, and if I call them by name from across the yard, they will each answer me to let me know where they are. I take them camping with me, and do not ever have to pen or tie them while we are at camp, they just hang around with people all the time, and curl up outside the tent to sleep. (They love campfires, surprisingly!) They are also excellent milkers, my does average a gallon a day each, and their butterfat content is pretty high, giving you a richer, sweeter milk, and I also think it makes better cheese.

I have seen a good deal of LaMancha/Boer crossbreds around here. They would be nice meaty kids, plus if you dam raise you get the plus of having a really milky mom to feed them good and grow them fast. When I have the room to expand into Boers as well, I will get a Boer buck and cross him with LaMancha does, so that I can keep a smaller herd, still milking my Manchas but have meatier kids, as the Manchas are not all that great for the freezer, too bony.

Fiasco Farm is no longer selling kids, I think they shut down. The last updates on the website are several years old.

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
They are like a golden retriever dog
ha! i've never thought of it like this but yep - that kinda describes them

and yes the fiascofarm site is just maintained not updated - the farm has closed.

have you checked the http://www.adga.org/ ?? for breeders?

:)

ohne

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm going to say that Toggs are by far my favorite. I love their personality and they milk very well. Not to mention Togg kids are adorable, they look like little fawns. Plus Toggs are known for having excellent udders as a whole.

LaManchas are also wonderful, they were the first breed I raised when I was in 4-H. They have excellent personality's and are very comical. They will be into just about everything that they can get into.

Next would be Alpines. Perhaps not the best personalities but still a wonderful breed. I showed for an Alpine herd and the goats were gorgeous which is my attraction to them. I appreciate any animal that is well bred and I really wouldn't mind owning one.

Nubians are just to loud! I keep my Toggs at a farm down the road that I help with their Nubian string, and you can hear the difference between the two before you even enter the barn. The Nubian scream would just drive me crazy if I had to hear it everyday. However their are some amazing Nubian's out there and a lot of people really love theirs. So if the breed appeals to you I say go for it get some nice ones and enjoy them. They just aren't for me.

The last two for me would be Saanen and Obers. Saanens because they are white and I wouldn't want to deal with a white goat. I do love their size scale and power though. Obers, ober people please don't hate me, but I have just never seen an Ober that I was impressed with.
My order of preference is:
1) Togg
2) LaMancha
3) Alpine
4) Nubian
5)Saanen
6) Ober

This is just my personal opinion on the breeds. I say pick a breed that you like and enjoy them! Every breed has animals that are good representatives of their individual breed.

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
OBERHASLI'S!!!!!!!!

They're so smart (One of my friends's can open a latch with her mouth!) and they're VERY quiet! They're so nice, and are good for showing! They have big, beautiful brown eyes, and are pretty good milkers. The buck has a great personality- Skittish, yet protects the girls and never "tries" any humans!!!! You should get them! Perfect backyard goats.... I LOVE them! Ok, but it's up to you!

*** Edited for udderly bad spelling!

greenfamilyfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We found a couple of LaManchas breeders within a 3 hour drive - yay! Hopefully their gals will give us a couple of doelings!

Kenneth Flippen

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
http://love-r-goats.com/

she has Lamanchas and nubians in virginia I have bought goats from her this past year and like them. Terry Barr in Taylorsville, NC I thiink has Lamanchas.

my nubians aren't any louder or more noisy than my alpines or lamanchas

my lamanchas and nubians have a much better personality

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sort of a toss up between toggs, obers and munchies for me. I have nigerians but wanted a standard. I broke down and put a deposit on a spring bottle baby lamancha. You tend to focus on their eyes more than other goats and their personality completely wins me over.