Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
this is my new child

2913_my_chickens_847.jpg

2913_my_chickens_848.jpg

1Chick Magnet

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have not had a bunny in over 30 years. I went to an auction last weekend and could not resist thus little guy.
is this a jersey wooly?

can a buck and a doe live tog?

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Black Jersey Wooly ... cute ... get yourself a brush and enjoy!

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree - pet quality Jersey Wooly. As to keeping a buck and doe together: yes, but only if both are neutered or they are both too old to care anymore. :rolleyes:

edited to add: I'm not dissing your little guy when I called him "pet quality." I'm just trying to explain why certain things about him (ear length, for example) may not match up with the animals whose pictures are used to represent the breed. Woolies are my favorites!

1Chick Magnet

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Bunnylady said:
Agree - pet quality Jersey Wooly. As to keeping a buck and doe together: yes, but only if both are neutered or they are both too old to care anymore. :rolleyes:

edited to add: I'm not dissing your little guy when I called him "pet quality." I'm just trying to explain why certain things about him (ear length, for example) may not match up with the animals whose pictures are used to represent the breed. Woolies are my favorites!
if a buck and doe are kept tog at breeding age will they hurt each other. should you only put them tog to breed?

this is the only woolie I have ever seen so had no idea about quality. are the ears too long or too short? I am trying to learn about this breed so any info is welcome. would be happy to have any other flaws pointed out too.
I bought the little one at an auction where most everything was going for food. I just thought he was too cute to enter the food chain. now that I have spent a few days watching him I am deciding I like this breed. he is so alert and friendly. likes to be cuddled. nuzzles right into my neck.
I was thinking it would be nice to get him some company.

cutechick2010

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Someone else said this already, but I would like to give you a little more detail. You cannot EVER keep an intact buck and doe together in the same cage. You will literally have baby bunnies every four weeks, and of course that is not only hard on the bunnies, but on you as well! Doe rabbits are induced ovulators, they do not go into heat and can get pregnant any time they are exposed to a buck. Their gestation period is 31 days, and they are most receptive to breeding within 72 hours of giving birth. That is how you wind up with back-to-back litters.
Congrats on saving this little guy, he is really adorable!

Heartlandrabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
cutechick2010 said:
can get pregnant any time they are exposed to a buck.
That is not 100% true, I know of many breeders who breed rabbits and will breed 20 plus does and only 7 have kits. Rabbits do not breed like many people think. I bred four does and only two felt like they were pregnant when I palpated. Yes, rabbits can have a lot of litters but it's not entirely true!

RabbitMage

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The key word there is can. They will not end up bred 100% of the time, but they can get pregnant anytime.

1Chick Magnet

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
can 2 does live tog happily? at what age do you need to seperate bucks and does so you don't get any surprises?