what kind of bunny is this?

cutechick2010

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
RabbitMage said:
The key word there is can. They will not end up bred 100% of the time, but they can get pregnant anytime.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Plus they are must less likely to get pregnant if you WANT them too, as opposed to just not knowing anything about them. Been scientifically proven, LOL.

BTW, if your breeder friends are breeding 20 does with only seven having litters, mabye they need to do some health checks, de-worming etc. That is really poor numbers.

Heartlandrabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
cutechick2010 said:
RabbitMage said:
The key word there is can. They will not end up bred 100% of the time, but they can get pregnant anytime.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Plus they are must less likely to get pregnant if you WANT them too, as opposed to just not knowing anything about them. Been scientifically proven, LOL.

BTW, if your breeder friends are breeding 20 does with only seven having litters, mabye they need to do some health checks, de-worming etc. That is really poor numbers.
Just because not all of them kindled means that's a bad thing... it could of been too cold/too hot, sterile bucks, does not wanting to take, etc.

Heartlandrabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
1Chick Magnet said:
can 2 does live tog happily? at what age do you need to seperate bucks and does so you don't get any surprises?
I have two does right now in the same cage and they get along great. They are two different breeds (Netherland and Holland) and I introduced the Netherland when she was young. But sometimes they don't always get along, mine always do.

I usually separate my bucks and does before they hit 6 months. Takes a buck about 6 months to sexually mature.

cutechick2010

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Heartlandrabbitry said:
1Chick Magnet said:
can 2 does live tog happily? at what age do you need to seperate bucks and does so you don't get any surprises?
I usually separate my bucks and does before they hit 6 months. Takes a buck about 6 months to sexually mature.
Here is a quote from the HRS:
"In any case of domestic rabbit babies, do not remove the babies until they are a full eight weeks of age. Separate the male babies from the females at this time. Males can become sexually mature as early as ten weeks!"

Small breeds mature faster, so the ten weeks would be for a dwarf breed. Large breeds will take longer. Does of medium-large breed will be mature at six months, but bucks mature earlier. Dwarf breed does are actually recommended to be bred for the first time at about five months. I know of one lady who raises linoheads, she left one baby with his mom a little longer than usual and wound up with the doe being pregnant. The little buck was nine weeks old. That of course is earlier than normal, but it is not rare either.

Heartlandrabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
cutechick2010 said:
Heartlandrabbitry said:
1Chick Magnet said:
"In any case of domestic rabbit babies, do not remove the babies until they are a full eight weeks of age. Separate the male babies from the females at this time. Males can become sexually mature as early as ten weeks!"

Small breeds mature faster, so the ten weeks would be for a dwarf breed. Large breeds will take longer. Does of medium-large breed will be mature at six months, but bucks mature earlier. Dwarf breed does are actually recommended to be bred for the first time at about five months. I know of one lady who raises linoheads, she left one baby with his mom a little longer than usual and wound up with the doe being pregnant. The little buck was nine weeks old. That of course is earlier than normal, but it is not rare either.
Yea I have larger breeds so I do mine at 6 months if I don't sell them by then.

1Chick Magnet

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
cutechick2010 said:
Heartlandrabbitry said:
1Chick Magnet said:

omg, that is quite an eye opener :ep. thankyou for that info.