What the heck did this? [Warning: Graphic photos]!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know of someone in VT that has a trapper come in for coyotes but there is one Coyote that never bothers their livestock and her thought is to leave that one in his territory so that a livestock killing coyote doesn't move in. IDK, sounds risky to me.

I hang dead rattlesnakes on the fence for the buzzards to eat; not to deter anything.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Scrapple and head cheese were made with leftover bits found on the head or in it, but was an attempt to use every last bit of the carcass for meat. To take a head and leave the carcass seems like they needed something for ritualistic means. It used to happen in the late 80's and early 90's where I grew up. However, the abandoned houses with the head left behind as well as painted pentagrams, salt, blood, etc was found too. I know this has been mysterious and of some worry, but I pray your cameras do not reveal any two legged beings on your property. If that is the case, they were not hungry. Because I have a degree in both Law Enforcement and Divinity, I have helped with occult cases in the past. The experienced groups are neat, clean, and have legal sources for obtaining animal parts. Kids or sloppy inexperienced members create scenes and mysteries that could draw attention.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know of someone in VT that has a trapper come in for coyotes but there is one Coyote that never bothers their livestock and her thought is to leave that one in his territory so that a livestock killing coyote doesn't move in. IDK, sounds risky to me
But IF the non livestock killing coyote isn't going to let any other coyotes into its territory, maybe is isn't so risky after all?? But they are pack animals so I suppose if there was just the one left, eventually others would join it.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Just found two "dens" adjacent to our property, not more than 20 ft. from our property line. These were dug within the last week, fresh as can be, fresh dirt.

Each entrance appears to be 9"-11" in diameter with nearly .05- .1 yards of freshly dug dirt. This took a lot of work to do...

Does anyone have any idea what they are?

Thanks,

Soar
Den 1.JPG
Den 2.JPG

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will say that several trappers in this area also subscribe to the "good coyote/bad coyote" theory. We had observed a coyote behind the calving field at the one farm. For 2 years we never had a problem but most of the ground hogs disappeared...YES....
Then one of the fall hunters shot a big coyote while deer hunting. Owners permission, not ours. Since then we have been plagued by coyote problems there, going after and killing 2 calves 2 years ago and have actually chased one out of the field while the cow was trying to clean up a new calf. Was in the tractor feeding and no gun in the cab..... I do believe that the big one had the territory staked out and was satisfied to co-exist with the cattle. The ones that seem to have moved in are in a bigger pack and are fair game to any and all out there with a gun.

Have had coyotes in the field near my house and some nights they are quite loud. Then won't hear them for weeks. I assume they are making the rounds of their territory. Haven't had any problems with them with the chickens. The skunks, possums and raccoons are another story. The cattle we have in the field closest to where I live have calves that are 2-3 months old and not something a sane coyote would tackle. Most cows there don't like dogs so a coyote is fair game too.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fox den more than likely.
Tonight my son uploaded his game cam.
So COOOOOOOOOOOOL! So the Beavers are wreaking havoc. It was really amazing to see this beaver chew the tree down, and drag it away. Amazing thing to watch. Problem is it took so many trees you wouldn't believe it. Of course not all thos treees in one night. But to see that was cool. They are causing major issues at the creek. Then hours later... here comes one of the "regular" coyotes... then toward morning the deer. Missing one antler. Like in that movie Open Season I think his name was Elliott.
Squirrels and coons are always on there... but the beavers are amazing. Can't believe how strong they are.
I know it isn't on your subject but wow... just so cool. I love my LGD's. My livestock stays safe and nature gets to do it's thing.