Where do I learn show and pre-show techniques? (cattle)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
MReit said:
Yeah some judges are crazy in my opinion. I mean I know they like a very alert animal, but some cattle in the ring just act wild and I don't think they would deserve a great placing, but do anyways. I've noticed that in beef judges much more then dairy. I've always had a problem keeping my animals awake in the ring because they get so relaxed, judges don't like that either..lol I can't help it they were comfortable/happy!
And they are suppose to be judging them on conformation in regular class. Not whether or not the critter wants to take out half the place!

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ours are judged as individuals against the breed standards, too, luckily for me!

On a good note (while I'm dealing with chicken trauma), DH watched me practicing with T-Bone last night and noted it wasn't going well because T-Bone was strong arming me, throwing a fit and getting away, which he can because he's so dang big and strong. DH offered to try leading him, and then said he'd be happy to show him for me! YAY!!!

DH is SO patient, just made T-Bone practice with him all over the backyard for about 45 minutes, and we also laid the show halter on the ground and they walked passed it many, many times (although T-Bone wasn't happy about it, but got a little less spooky each time). It's amazing how much T-Bone leads when he knows he can't over power his handler (he tried, but DH is so strong from pulling cable as a logger that T-Bone just can't win!).

WHEW. Now I am free to focus more on Annabel and the rest of our fair preparations. :D

P0U1TRYP3RS0N

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
amysflock said:
I was heavily recruited last night to show our calves at the local Grays Harbor County Fair (two counties west of me) and since I couldn't think of a valid objection, it looks like I'm in!!!

So...having never done this before, I'm feeling a little anxious about a few things:

1) "Bathing" cattle - how the heck do I do that? And with what? Do they get blow dried and styled, or ?? :D (We are prohibitted by our national association from clipping anything but the bottom line since some big breeders have gone way overboard on that, so I'm not concerned about clipping...just the actual bath.)
--You wash them with a hose, in a wash wrack if possible. otherwise you will just have to find some unfortunate person to get drug around the first few baths. Angus especially tend to jump up and forward when scared (i.e, bath time. LOL) If you can't find any other livestock shampoo, mane and tail works. You will go through about a bottle a wash though, on a dirty cow. You'll need a CATTLE BLOWER. See if you can share with someone you know, or buy one. Then when you finish washing your cow you use the blower, starting at the back (like more in the flank) and work UP AND FORWARD with the blower, so the cow looks "poof-y" (at least that's what you do with market steer). Do it until the animal is dry
2) How do I use a show stick, and how do I practice with one?
Get a show stick at your feed store or order on on Sullivan's supply. Use it at first by just rubbing the calf's belly, then get him used to "setting up" with it--shoving it between his hooves, and hooking it gently behind his front hooves to position feet as to "square him up"
3) Do I need fancy halters or will the rope halters I'm using be sufficient? Oh yes, YOU WILL need a leather halter if you want to place. Get it the same place you got your show stick. Sullivan's has nice ones.

4) What types of things do I need to bring with me besides hay and a garden hose (for the rest of the calves' 5-day stay there in the Beef Barn)? What types of things are good to have at my display table in the barn? Bring lots of tubs and buckets, more than enough feed, clippers, adhesive, hocus pocus, scotch combs, and muck boots. Sponges and squeeges made for livestock make life nicer, too. Stick it all in a huge rubbermaid tub.

Thank heavens I have about a month before the big event...it's August 6th for the show and the calves will be there from August 5-9. Help!!!

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
You have just learned the number one rule of cattle-showing: they will get away with whatever they can if you let them!
Obviously your boy has your number and knows it. You will have to learn the control techniques and use them relentlessly to gain his respect.
It IS possible for a lightweight person to control the big strong beast but you can't be afraid to exert control. Even the chains on the show halter are there for a reason: it exerts a strong impulse under the chin when yanked and obviously your big boy doesn't like it so he revolts. However, because it's a chain, it also releases the moment he releases HIS pressure. He needs to learn this.
Let's face it, no cow wants to be tied initially. It goes against their nature. But they learn rather quickly that it doesn't hurt them to be tied unless they fight it. Often they get to the point where they feel more secure being tied and/or with you. I've had more than one cow try to jump into my lap when it was scared at the fair. Mama means safety!
One tip: where the nose goes, the rest follows. Keep a VERY short lead on him- even to the point of your hand next to the nose band. ( Not inside,that's dangerous at this point) When he wants to take off, circle him, circle him ,circle him til he is touching his tail. ( Keep your balance by leaning on him; lean your body into his rear as you circle to keep you ON balance and throw him OFF balance)
He doesn't go anywhere with this tactic and eventually he gives up.
Watch his eyes for clues of his thoughts and make the nose go before he decides to take off.
You can also dig your close elbow into his side right behind his front leg to gain leverage to turn him when circling. Use balance and leverage to control.
You aren't going to hurt him with any of this. He is bigger and stronger than you and he knows it. Be firm!
While I am on the stump: your attitude is likely more important than your actions. BE IN CHARGE. BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. YOU CAN DO THIS
It's really hard to get 8 yr old's believing they can control a couple hundred pound animal but they CAN! It's technique plus convincing the animal that they know what they are doing and can be trusted to know and take care!
I've often told my kids that their animals copied their attitudes. You cannot fool an animal. You have to BELIEVE in yourself.
I also encourage constant talking to the animal. LEt them hear your voice and be firm, strong and encouraging never tentative. They are reading your tone, not your words. You can swear a blue streak at them as long as your tone is strong and encouraging and POSITIVE. ( Try it sometime when you are frustrated! Swear at them in an encouraging positive tone. Gets your frustration out and they haven't a clue!)

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks, Imissmygirls, for the great information. I'm going to see if I can lead him successfully after DH breaks him a bit more, and I'll try (and have DH try) the circling technique while leaning into his rump.

:)

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
Amy, Let me be a bit more precise on the use of the show halter. Keep the chain under the chin fairly loose most times. The use of the chain is a QUICK SNAP the precise moment the animal is about to take off and then an instant release. The idea is to get their attention and distract them totally about what they were thinking-- refocusing their attention on YOU.
This is a bit different than the rope halter where they will just follow you. You have to remember that at shows there will be strange distractions much of the time and that may cause panic until they are used to it. The snap against their chin refocuses them to you and your control.
Many times the cattle do not like the chain and will fight it. If this is the case, always keep it loose, but the animal must still obey you. Learn to reaad their actions. IF the chain itself is causing the panic, you can CAREFULLY put your hand in the noseband for control but I really really hesitate to recommend this to an inexperienced person.
Some animals (actually many!) learn to love shows and the attention and activity they present and really love to show off to the crowds. But initially all animals will want the security of MOM ( or DAD). A calf taken to the show adapts much better and will remember the next year.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
Another tip on body placement: It is really hard to visualize the animal while you are leading it. Can someone take digital pics to show you the rear and side views of the critter when you think you have it set up correctly? It will help you relate what you see at the halter to what a judge sees.

MReit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Imissmygirls said:
Another tip on body placement: It is really hard to visualize the animal while you are leading it. Can someone take digital pics to show you the rear and side views of the critter when you think you have it set up correctly? It will help you relate what you see at the halter to what a judge sees.
Great idea, it can be hard for a beginner to know when the feet are "under" the animal because stretching a mere 3-4" makes a huge difference in the stance of the calf. :barnie only 5 more days till I ship to the fairs here..yikes! (making my lists and checkin them twice!)

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Imissmycows, thanks for the clarification on the chain. I wouldn't have thought of that. T-Bone freaks out at the mere sight (and sound) of the show halter, so DH is working with him to get over that. I think he's going to put it on him tonight and see what happens, and I'll try Annabel, too.

Even though I know it's important, I may not mess with the show stick and foot placement for this first fair. My calves are the only two in their classes so they'll place anyway, and my next fair isn't for a month and a half, so we'll have more practice time. Annabel is learning to stop with her front feet under her pretty well, but always stops with one back foot behind. I don't even know how much DH has worked on foot placement with T-Bone (probably not much) but I'll mention it tonight.

Latest posts