Which cutting to get, hay storage and protein blocks

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm starting to think about getting our hay stocked up for the winter. We go through about 6 round bales for the sheep from November to March every year and 30 square bales for the goats. Since I have more sheep I'll probably want to go with 7 this year. I want to buy hay ahead of time in case August is droughty and the price goes way up. But I'm also wondering if first cutting isn't the best. I heard second cutting is higher in protein, is that correct? Should I get a few bales now and a few in September or so?
I'm also looking at ways to store it. I can fit 2 in the barn, but I need 7. Would pallets and tarps outside work ok?

I also have one more feed related question. I'm thinking about using protein tubs/blocks this winter instead of grain to keep the ewes in condition while they're pregnant and fatten up my wethers for butchering in January. Is that a good, cost effective option or would grain be better?

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know others can give you a better answer with more info. My sheep do well on first cutting. Followed by second. Anything else and I have a lot of waste in stems - up to 30%. I’ve actually weighed it out. I’m feeding straight alfalfa, bales are about 120#. We are getting into the season now when I’ll see a lot of waste. Next year I plan to start buying 100 bales at a time instead of 50. I can fit maybe 70 in a stall. The others will have to be in the barn aisle. Stalls are rubber matted and the barn aisle is rubber bricks. I cover the bales with a tarp to keep out condensation - lots of fog here.

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I know others can give you a better answer with more info. My sheep do well on first cutting. Followed by second. Anything else and I have a lot of waste in stems - up to 30%. I’ve actually weighed it out. I’m feeding straight alfalfa, bales are about 120#. We are getting into the season now when I’ll see a lot of waste. Next year I plan to start buying 100 bales at a time instead of 50. I can fit maybe 70 in a stall. The others will have to be in the barn aisle. Stalls are rubber matted and the barn aisle is rubber bricks. I cover the bales with a tarp to keep out condensation - lots of fog here.
Man, I wish I could feed straight alfalfa, that would be awesome! But that stuff is like gold here in Texas. I'm probably going to feed coastal Bermuda or a mix of coastal and Bahia, that's the highest quality hay I can afford around here. They will get the gold alfalfa for a month before breeding to flush them, and probably some pellets over the winter. A 2 string bale of alfalfa that weighs 40-50 lbs is about $20. I'll probably get 8 bales for flushing month.
So sounds like first and second cutting are good. I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I did notice that when we bought hay during the winter last year there was a ton of waste. Must have been 3rd cutting.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Last time I bought it was $20/bale (sounds like it's 1/2 the price of yours) --- an amazing price and at the moment they are eating it all. There's so much that goes into producing the hay I'm truly amazed at our current price and praying that the farmers are getting at least their fair share. We were over $30/bale awhile back, and we were at $17/bale Jan 2020.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I pay $26 for a 3 strand bale of alfalfa.
My sheep didn’t like the stalks in Bermuda hay. There was a lot of waste. They love Bahia hay, it is more leafy.

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I pay $26 for a 3 strand bale of alfalfa.
My sheep didn’t like the stalks in Bermuda hay. There was a lot of waste. They love Bahia hay, it is more leafy.
I've had trouble finding good Bahia. It always has weeds in it. The last batch of Bahia I got was full of horse nettle. That's why I'm shopping early this year and looking at storage. I don't want to be stuck with whatever nasty hay is still available midwinter. But even in the fall I haven't had good success finding nice Bahia.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hay quality has as much to do with land, weather and growth as it does with cutting and curing. The notion of first or second cutting is purposeful as the "norm" for expected growth. Weather can be the factor in whether the grass is good or bad. And some grass types do better than others as to nutrition -- add location. Can be a crap shoot.

I have one dealer who sells only tested hay....shows assumed quality of your buy. It's most expensive one I shop and don't use for 100% . After enough years you have a pretty good feel for it. Since I supplement with grains & vit/min, body condition is pretty good.

Last edited:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
But I'm also wondering if first cutting isn't the best. I heard second cutting is higher in protein, is that correct?
It depends on what variety of hay you have in your area. Alfalfa is best first or second cutting, however a lot of the first cuttig alfalfa is already under contract to dairy farmers. The main thing to look for is the quality of the hay. Also if you can store it under cover you will save the nutritional value. Hay stored in the field loses a lot of nutrition to rain. You csn still use old hay for mulch inthe grden and for bedding.

Farmerjan would have better knowledge of hay nutritional values on first and second cutting.