whole soy beans and corn

mtocih

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
A older gentleman friend of ours gave us a five gallon bucket of soybeans and corn..the spillovers from the elevator. We put it out for a doe (deer) on our property. I was told the soy had to much protein for my goats. (Boer and Pygmy) is this true? He wants to get me more to help with my cost of feed
But I don't want to feed to the goats if its bad,..and it would take a while to sort thru the mix..not necessarily worth that time. What do you think?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Whole soybeans are very nutritious, but very high in protein and need to be fed with a balanced diet. also very very high in phosphorus, so I would not give it to bucks/wethers.

For example: We put whole soybeans in our feed, but it is ground and pelleted. They get 100 lbs per ton of feed.

If you buy an all stock feed that is 12% you can use the corn/soybeans to increase the protein in it, but your calcium to phosphorus would still be way off. Not sure if whole soy beand need to be ground to be a better feed choice for goats. Normally, Corn is ground or cracked to help it be more digestable.

I think it is possible to use it, but will take a little research to figure out how much.

Animallovers1

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
In the feed I get there are whole soybeans in it and I just feed the mix with grass or hay as long as bucks or wetheres don't get it I would say its okay to feed

mtocih

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We get a feed from a local feed store they mix it for me. And honestly my husband ordered it the first time.based on the feed a good friend feeds her goats. Will have to check the ratio on it. Thank you!