Why raise goats?

GoatRancher11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
By the "taxes makes sense", I meant that you can write some of the loss off especially at first. The best way of doing it all is to set up an LLC (or corporation). That is what I have done for my farm.

It is a legitimate way to do it and it is as easy as printing a form off of the internet, filling information out and then sending it to your Secretary of State. You will also have to get a EIN or tax id number from the IRS.

Should have said all this the first time but got sidetracked!

Island Creek Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We got into dairy goats (Alpines) for personal use. I already had the land and shelter (we board and train horses), so that helped out a lot. I don't make a ton of money, probably enough to offset my feed bills on the goats, but I keep milk/kefir and make cheese...all of which are way better than store bought, not to mention healthier!

I did develop a goat-cheese cheesecake recipe that I sell the cheesecakes. One goat paid for herself ($250) within three weeks on cheesecake sales alone. I also traded cheesecakes for a new dishwasher when mine died...so there are other perks too! LOL

I did run into a problem through the holidays where customers wanted MORE cheesecakes, but I had dried some off due to imminent kidding, so had to turn away sales...think I need more goats, or better planning next year!

Whatever you decide, I think you'll love having them...they even changed the mind of my "type A" personality, deep-south-hardcore-cowboy boyfriend! When I'm not looking, he'll actually PLAY with my does! LOL