akroberts 1085

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yesterday I went to the garden and started picking some green beans, I quickly left after the black spider came out of the bushes. I decided to go check on the squash plants and picked a squash. I then decided to check on my cushaw pumpkins and when I seen the little slithering black and yellow snake I decided I was done with the garden.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The , and the snake both are good insect controls.... scare 'em off and keep on picking.
Are your cushaw pumpkins the striped crenshaw"s. ??? Different names in different parts of the country... I will have to take some pictures of the ones I grew this year... they did good but had some rot when we were so dry then got so much rain... still have about 100-150 lbs worth I guess... some are BIG.... I want to grow some old fashioned hubbard squash next year. I grew some nice butternut squash, to get up tomorrow... they keep good for awhile into the fall/winter.

akroberts 1085

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The , and the snake both are good insect controls.... scare 'em off and keep on picking.
Are your cushaw pumpkins the striped crenshaw"s. ??? Different names in different parts of the country... I will have to take some pictures of the ones I grew this year... they did good but had some rot when we were so dry then got so much rain... still have about 100-150 lbs worth I guess... some are BIG.... I want to grow some old fashioned hubbard squash next year. I grew some nice butternut squash, to get up tomorrow... they keep good for awhile into the fall/winter.
I was almost bit in the face when I was a little kid so snakes and me are a no go.This the first one. It weighed 17lbs.
1000000030.jpg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I get it on the snake in your case....

NEAT.....Yours are the pretty ones with the yellow "stripes".... Did you plant any others closeby? I would love to have some of the yellow striped ones' seeds , for planting next year. Just don't want any "hybrids" with other types... (usually they are horrible for eating if crossed up) Have not seen the yellow ones in years...
Maybe get some seeds from you or get you to pick me up a pkg of the yellow striped ones' seeds, and send them to me..???? Be glad to pay for them...
Got to weigh mine in the next few days...