Will feral pigs attack my domestic pigs?

Lizzy733

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My husband caught sight of a feral momma and two piglets about the size of our kune brothers up by our orchard. As our kune are essentially our dogs and have free range of the property, my husband has been pretty worried they'll eventually have an encounter. Being young, they can still squeeze under the occasional fence. A bit larger and we're pretty sure that'll sort itself out and they don't really leave the property. They tend to keep to the pastures, including making the rounds up there by the orchard.

Does anyone have any idea how this would likely go down? Would our boys be in danger from the feral momma? Would they ignore each other? Would our boys try to run off with the ferals?

We've invested a lot in training them and they're pretty good about coming when called and following basic commands as well as spend a good bit of the day in the greenhouse and are locked in dusk till dawn. Just wondering if there are any extra precautions we should take knowing they're in the area.

Lizzy733

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
No, never have. I do believe feral hogs might attack.

To keep your boys IN and feral hogs OUT, hot wire inside and out.
Geeze, we haven't gotten into hot wire yet. The fence line is heavily planted with native flax, so I wasnt thinking it a good option for the orchard, which is where the ferals were spotted.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your boys have learned how to root under the fence, raise it up and scoot underneath it. FREEDOM! Once learned, it’s not like they are going to quit. Feral hogs also will stick their snout under the fence and raise it up to go underneath it. As you might imagine, this is hard on fences and will ultimately weaken and destroy them.

Feral hogs are coming to your orchard. How do you feel about being charged by a sow with piglets, while walking in your own orchard? Feral hogs are not afraid of you. They are aggressive and will rip you to shreds if they feel threatened. Most of the time they will run, but if cornered or with young, they may attack. If you see them on your property, shoot them. The young ones are good to eat, the older ones are only fit for buzzards.

There are insulators that are about 6” long, I suggest that you run a hot wire on the inside and on the outside of your fence. Otherwise hogs will tear your fence up and all your hard work, not to mention money, will be down the drain. The wire comes on spools, the heavier gauge carries a charge better than the thin wire. The more joules on a charger, the hotter it is. If there is no way to plug in a charger at the location where it is needed, use a solar charger, connect it to a truck battery or two, to release power at night and cloudy rainy days. Cover the batteries to protect from weather. You can build a battery house, much like a bird house, on a slightly bigger scale.

I’ve never had to do much hot wire, my livestock guard dogs kept feral hogs from entering the property. Now I’m buying a new place that is fenced with barbed wire for cattle, so is not feral hog proof.

Lizzy733

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Your boys have learned how to root under the fence, raise it up and scoot underneath it. FREEDOM! Once learned, it’s not like they are going to quit. Feral hogs also will stick their snout under the fence and raise it up to go underneath it. As you might imagine, this is hard on fences and will ultimately weaken and destroy them.

Feral hogs are coming to your orchard. How do you feel about being charged by a sow with piglets, while walking in your own orchard? Feral hogs are not afraid of you. They are aggressive and will rip you to shreds if they feel threatened. Most of the time they will run, but if cornered or with young, they may attack. If you see them on your property, shoot them. The young ones are good to eat, the older ones are only fit for buzzards.

There are insulators that are about 6” long, I suggest that you run a hot wire on the inside and on the outside of your fence. Otherwise hogs will tear your fence up and all your hard work, not to mention money, will be down the drain. The wire comes on spools, the heavier gauge carries a charge better than the thin wire. The more joules on a charger, the hotter it is. If there is no way to plug in a charger at the location where it is needed, use a solar charger, connect it to a truck battery or two, to release power at night and cloudy rainy days. Cover the batteries to protect from weather. You can build a battery house, much like a bird house, on a slightly bigger scale.

I’ve never had to do much hot wire, my livestock guard dogs kept feral hogs from entering the property. Now I’m buying a new place that is fenced with barbed wire for cattle, so is not feral hog proof.
Thanks for that. Our post and batten is pretty tightly spaced, fortunately. They can only squeeze under on areas where it's on a hill contour and can't on the flats. They will run all the way around on most fences rather than attempt go through them. The one time they got off property, it would have been from squeezing under\through the steel gate.

I believe it was only the piglets that made it into the orchard. Momma was outside on the adjacent property from what I've been told. Our neighbors are pro-pig shooting and know our boys so may only be a matter of time for the ferals if they stick around.