Worrying about Worming...

Chicos Mama

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
O.K., ANOTHER question, this time about worming Chico & Violet.
I have read so much about different kinds of wormers, and although I have never seen a worm in their feces...Violet did the Strangest thing today. Picture this...your dog "boot-skootin`" across your carpet...well now picture a 75lb. goat doing that across your front porch!!! :lol:
She litterally sat down like a person, pulled herself forward with her legs and "Skootched" for about 3 mins. Head in the air as if to say "AHHHHHH!!!":plbb Funniest thing Ive ever seen!
So, after wiping my giggle tears, I first checked for splinters (nope, none found) then looked for worms...NUTHIN`!
Went to town today and was going to buy some Ivomectin Injectable everyone says is so great. Now here are my worries
...All both Feed stores in town sells is for Horses and the other for Cattle and Swine. Is there a difference and which if any can I use.
I did buy the Safe-Guard for Goats and followed the lable for administering. YES...the took it in their COLD-WATER Bottles! (Refere back to my first post...lol)
Second question: If I do find the right Ivomectin for them, how long should i wait to re-worm? Can you "over-worm"?
I also got them a Sweet-lix block (also cant find the loose minerals here! :rant) and some pro-biotics...which they went crazy over...they loved it! :plbb
I might add, that Violet is "shedding" something awful these days but not Chico...No mites or lice anywhere and no eggs to be found. She also has a slight cough whenever she runs, but no other time...does this sound like Lungworm?
Mabey its "BOTTLE WITHDRAWL?" (Refer again to my first posting)
IM JUST KIDDINGGG!!!:th
Any help is welcome!

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You should never Deworm any animal just on a hunch, unless you have years of experience. Best idea would be to have a fecal examination done by a professional, or learn to do them yourself, OR use a FAMACHA eye chart score to determine the worm load in your goat. Unneeded use of deworming agents can cause parasites to develop a resistence to treatment.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
It's hard to tell you why they're coughing....there could be many different causes, some benign, some not....a fecal float by a vet who knows how to do a lungworm float is the only way to rule it out.