Would a mother doe suddenly stop producing milk?

Lady Jane

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My Alpine, Jolie Fille, has three week old doekids. This morning I noticed that her udder was very empty looking and has been throughout the day. The kids try to nurse her, but she walks away. Probably because she has no milk anyway.

What would cause a doe with kids to seemingly stop producing milk? Also, I have checked on her a few times and every time, she looked empty and with the kids still trying to nurse I imagine they could not have nursed her dry when I wasn't looking.

Should I get the kids on some bottles (they have not been up to this point) and see if she fills up? I already plan on checking her in the morning as early as possible to see if she is full then.
Thanks. :)

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Take a look at her eyelids... A doe that's down w/ a worm load can't produce like they should.

I am currently treating a doe who went down fast w/ a heavy worm load (my fault...I got busy kidding and didn't check her eyelids for a while after she kidded...:( ) and her milk dried up almost overnight.

Not saying that's what it IS, just what it *could* be.

Offer the kids a bottle, if they take it, you'll know they're hungry.

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It could be that the kids are nursing like crazy and taking everything she has each chance they get. Last year my doe never had a full udder - it always looked empty - but the kids were happy and healthy.

I'd go with Roll - offer them milk; if they don't take it, they're just stealing it from mom every chance they get.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
glenolam said:
It could be that the kids are nursing like crazy and taking everything she has each chance they get. Last year my doe never had a full udder - it always looked empty - but the kids were happy and healthy.

I'd go with Roll - offer them milk; if they don't take it, they're just stealing it from mom every chance they get.
That's what I see in my does. I have one that had a huge udder the first few days, she was feeding her two kids, my bottle baby, and still giving me half a gallon for the house. And now that the kids are a week and a half old, she never looks all that full, I am only getting a pint extra. Her kids are just eating more. Little fatties. :p

I'd keep an eye on them--make sure the babies are active, growing, and have full tummies. Also, check mom for worms or any other signs of illness such as mastitis.

Lady Jane

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well, I checked her again this morning. Not a drop of milk and the kids are still trying to nurse. I have noticed that her poo has been clumpy at night, but by the afternoon it seemed to get better. This morning the poo she had was just a big brown clump without the individual pellets. Sound like worms or scours?:(

Oh, I have been using Hoeggers herbal wormer and I checked her eyes yesterday, I'm no expert but they looked pink to me. I am sure the first suggestion will be to do a fecal. :) I want to do my own but I haven't been able to get the proper equipment yet. I know of only one other person in this area that owns goats so I will be calling her about it today.
I'm trying to hang in there,but it is getting me discouraged because I was really counting on having that milk
balloony.gif

Lady Jane

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If this possibly makes any difference about her poo. She did have more grain than usual yesterday because my Dad tried to milk her to encourage lactation.

Also, I have been putting out baking soda and it is always gone by the end of the day. (so are the minerals often for that matter) This makes me wonder either someone in the herd really needs the baking soda or they all just like the salt content.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Is she drinking plenty of water (try warm water)?

It's kind of hard to produce milk if you're dehydrated...

That's my only suggestion :idunno

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Fecals are inexpensive to have done. My vet is actually on the high side at $15.00 but still, to know exactly what parastites, if any, that you're dealing with it's a small price to pay.

He told me I only needed about 4 goat berries. I grabbed a sandwhich baggie, put on plastic gloves, then stared at my goats back side 4-EVER waiting for fresh poo to take to the vet. Waiting for a goat to poop when you need it is like the watched pot that doesn't boil.

Regardless, it was easy - scooped 'em up, put 'em in the baggie and ran them to the vet. He called me about 30 minutes later to let me know the results - easy, peasy.

In order to treat effectively it's important to know what you're dealing with - or at least know what you're NOT dealing with to rule out the possibilities.

Good luck!

Lady Jane

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.
And for anyone who is interested we have determined that we were not giving the mom enough grain. Dumb newbie mistake. >_<