Xerocles rabbit thread

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, we are in Florida and these pictures that I just grabbed for you may help explain.....View attachment 68811
Hmmm. Here in SC we have more hot and steamy than frigid (will be in 70s today). So, nest boxes were built more FOR draftiness to avoid heat deaths. How do you prevent kits overheating in Fl summers? Cardboard is just winter inserts.
Didn't expect this dumb bunny to not pull ANY fur, OR to take all the hay OUT of the nest box.
Initial nest is just emergency shelter. Didn't want to futz around too much with them and a first time nervous mom. I will reinforce the cardboard soon. But not toooo worried. Lowest low for the next week is 57f.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mine will go inside the box in the summer also......and it's about as hot and humid here as you can imagine, but we do get 33 degree temps in the winter also. Sooo I leave the box inside year round, mine like their little homes and use them for lots of bunny reasons :)
My hutches are all built 4 foot off the ground in the chicken yard under a overhang of lush green tree limbs to protect them from the direct sun...it has been working great for two plus years.

Last edited:

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
She had 5. 4 clustered in the back with no hay, only a piece of cardboard to cover them. One nestled up front in a little spot of hay. I built a nest hole of some really soft grass hay and put all five into it. Right now all wiggling and squirming, so we'll see how it goes.
Females! Guess she figured she wasn't gonna mess up her pretty red and white fur coat by pulling fur out!
View attachment 68806
What I found. Notice one in lower right.
View attachment 68807View attachment 68808
Snuggled in new hay.
Oh they’re sooo cute!! black too!! How sweet!! Was the nesting box made of cardboard and she chewed it up? I’m glad you have them snuggled..:)

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, we are in Florida and these pictures that I just grabbed for you may help explain.....View attachment 68811View attachment 68813View attachment 68811View attachment 68813View attachment 68814
Yes those are great pictures..we have even more simple ones...by now we’ve made them all dimensions, with lips, etc...but...I know you spent a ton of money on the wire...however..it won’t hold up to weather...and..she needs shelter for the kits..plus the moms jump on top as a way to protect...
7D8F18DC-FB83-4281-9905-F894FD7B13A3.jpeg

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mine will go inside the box in the summer also......and it's about as hot and humid here as you can imagine, but we do get 33 degree temps in the winter also. Sooo I leave the box inside year round, mine like their little homes and use them for lots of bunny reasons :)
My hutches are all built 4 foot off the ground in the chicken yard under a overhang of lush green tree limbs to protect them from the direct sun...it has been working great for two plus years.
The box actually keeps it cool in the summer...

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I give my bunnies regular sleeping boxes too...just different ones..with no bottoms so it’s easier to clean. I still put hay in for cozi, but then its just not as messy. And since the boxes are so easy for a Chris to make...he doesn’t mind just making me more...:)

JHP Homestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Congrats on the babies! I think your nesting boxes look good. With those temps, they should be fine as long as there’s hay (and ideally fur). A decent nest of hay will block the wind as much as wood does.

If she’ll let you, you could try to lightly pull some fur from her sides, belly, or neck. The fur usually loosens is quite a bit so it should be easy to pull. And it might help give her the right idea.