You know they're city if...

LadyIsabelle2011

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You know some one is city when...they think your goat is a dog :rolleyes:

You know some one is city when...they think every hunk of good venison is bambie's mother :rolleyes:

You know some one is city when...you offer to take them frog gigging and they give you the "look" ...we're cajun country :p

RareBreedFancier

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You know some one is city when... they ask if your ponies are boys or girls and you tell them they are both geldings. Then they ask you if your going to breed them... :rolleyes:

Dutchgirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
They think chickens are ducks.

Pancake in the River

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
They see a rooster "getting physical" with a hen and they say " He's so mean! Why is her attacking her?!?" :idunno You try to explain thats how her fertilizes the egg and they ask, " What? I thought he did that after the egg was layed or something?!?!?!? Thats just nasty! :sick"

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My DD is a City Girl - I am sooo embarrassed. I tried to raise her Country, I really did. :/ I was picking green beans in the garden and she informed me she doesn't eat those beans, just the real ones. (out of a can) I got the same reaction to my homemade pickles !

My FIL asked me why the GIRL goats had horns - only boys have horns, right.

Most friends are shocked to find out a chicken lays an egg everyday = well almost. :rolleyes:

My SIL asked how I could tell if there was a chick in the egg when I get it from the barn in the morning. :hu

I think it's safe to say that the "education system" in this country is at a sad state when kids grow up not knowing where their food comes from.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say that the "education system" in this country is at a sad state when kids grow up not knowing where their food comes from.

It's gotten BEYOND sad!

Thanks to all the FARMERS that are hanging on. Please don't give up! And I'm not talking about the corporate owned ones. The REAL farmers are the ones that will be there till the end! And that includes all those little family farms that are dotted all over the Country! That believe in the old ways and not taking their gifts for granted.

You all STAY STRONG! We will all be turning to you! No panic here, just logic and it all looks that way. We are going to have to get back to basics. And I don't mean just financially. I know a pile of city people who if the supermarkets closed, they are so stupid they would just sit on the curb and starve to death thinking someone is going to help them. Oh well. I'm proud to NOT be one of those city people.

genuck

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I couldn't believe it when my MOTHER who had chickens growing up went and bought a dozen 'unfertilized' eggs to eat when she came to visit. Then when she did cook some of my eggs she was going to throw them out, "they were really orange and wouldn't hardly come out of the shell." Even her sister laughed at her for that. So we had a little education on egg freshness...

She also doesn't want me to eat the ram or any of the goats... I've yet to tell her the bunny is on the menu :D

I'm on the fence between city and country, I love my video games but have learned to skin and gut a chicken on the fly and still make it to work on time. Of course I can't get out the gate without someone getting mud or poop on me...

Oh and I never tell anyone about the electric fence... everyone should get at least one good shock >:)

EllieMay

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I was born and raised a city (suburban) girl.
But I was always a country girl at heart.
I just recently bought my own place on 15 acres and have chickens and will be getting some sheep.

All I can say is that I USED TO say white eggs come from white chickens and brown eggs come from brown chickens.

I USED TO get grossed out when my dad would tell stories about drinking milk right from the cow. Now I go next door to the dairy farm with my gallon bottle and get some real milk out of the Jersey cow.

I USED TO be squeamish about walking through a barn. Now I throw on a pair of rubber boots and my gloves and have at it. I LOVE my barn.

I USED TO prefer the vegetables that were in the grocery store because the veggies grown in the dirt had bugs crawling on them.

I USED TO not eat my uncles venison because the dead carcass was just lying there all cut up and bleeding. It wasnt "clean" and wrapped neatly in plastic.

I USED TO be afraid to walk amongst chickens for fear Id get pecked. Now I have 50+ chickens with another 45 in the incubator and the highlight of my day is sitting with the chickens and watching their daily activities.

I loved this thread and all I gotta say is I USED TO be that way.

:D

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
EllieMay said:
I was born and raised a city (suburban) girl.
But I was always a country girl at heart.
I just recently bought my own place on 15 acres and have chickens and will be getting some sheep.

All I can say is that I USED TO say white eggs come from white chickens and brown eggs come from brown chickens.

I USED TO get grossed out when my dad would tell stories about drinking milk right from the cow. Now I go next door to the dairy farm with my gallon bottle and get some real milk out of the Jersey cow.

I USED TO be squeamish about walking through a barn. Now I throw on a pair of rubber boots and my gloves and have at it. I LOVE my barn.

I USED TO prefer the vegetables that were in the grocery store because the veggies grown in the dirt had bugs crawling on them.

I USED TO not eat my uncles venison because the dead carcass was just lying there all cut up and bleeding. It wasnt "clean" and wrapped neatly in plastic.

I USED TO be afraid to walk amongst chickens for fear Id get pecked. Now I have 50+ chickens with another 45 in the incubator and the highlight of my day is sitting with the chickens and watching their daily activities.

I loved this thread and all I gotta say is I USED TO be that way.
:yuckyuck

:D

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
If ... they call chickens claws " talons " and are afraid to touch a chicken .... :gig thats just silly I think .... :gig

Latest posts