2024-2025 Sheep Showing

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I need to put weight on Oreo cause she's skinny. Right now the maternity/ show bunch is getting free access to 14% protein feed and limited hay. What else should I add. The 2 ewes and 4 lamb are going thru roughly 8lbs of feed a day.

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I need to put weight on Oreo cause she's skinny. Right now the maternity/ show bunch is getting free access to 14% protein feed and limited hay. What else should I add. The 2 ewes and 4 lamb are going thru roughly 8lbs of feed a day.
When I'm trying to put weight on lambs I just give them free choice feed like you are doing. How old is Oreo? Sorry I have a terrible memory sometimes. Anyway there's also the chocolate milk drench from stock show secrets you could try.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oreo was born March 2023 and is raising 2 lambs. She was 107lbs at the show weigh in. I would say she's a 2 on body condition but people were giving side eye like she was starving to death.
P_20240705_214028.jpg
P_20240705_213606.jpg

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oreo was born March 2023 and is raising 2 lambs. She was 107lbs at the show weigh in. I would say she's a 2 on body condition but people were giving side eye like she was starving to death.
View attachment 109915
View attachment 109917
As long as you are keeping her dewormed I would just keep giving her and her lambs free access to feed, you could switch to a feed with higher protein/more nutrients per pound, what is the fat content of the feed?

My 2 ewes this year that both had twins were pretty skinny too when they were lactating, I didn't give them free choice but I would let them eat as much as they wanted of the 14% protein feed i was giving them and then take it away and give them a big helping of alfalfa, the lambs creep fed a 18% protein 7% fat creep feed, if I had let the moms eat free choice creep feed as well they probably wouldn't have been skinny. (They were fine but I wasn't showing them so it wasn't really a problem)