4-Hers?

shawn MN

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Our kids are in 4-H just as I was. They bring 2 lots of chickens, market ducks, 1 rabbit (for my lil Cloverbud), swine, goats and a few general exhibts. It gets very busy around our little farm in mid August! (and most of the summer) :bun

pygmygoatgirl135

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi peeps!
I am interested in raising pygmies for 4h. What are the requirements for housing them, is it true that they can't be kept in rain? How big of a space should i have for 2 does, and what do they like to play on? Can they survive wisconsin winters or do they need a coat on or something lol? For 4h showing can I wear bootcut jeans, my western boots, and my clubs 4h shirt? I also need to find a pygmy goat breeder in wisconsin.

thank you!

countrychick95

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
:celebrate I love 4-H and FFA!! I am an officer of both, and am totally in love. I'm this year's FFA historian, and I judge Crops and horses, and do the parliamentry procedure contest. I shw llamas, sheep, rabbits, my dog, and my horse in 4-H, along with general projects! WHOO!! :barnie :weee

Erins Little Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I do 4-H!!! I'm in our local Judging team and I show and have projects with Cattle, Lambs, Chickens and I'm starting with Hogs this year!!! I love 4-H!

countrychick95

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I do 4-H!!! I'm in our local Judging team and I show and have projects with Cattle, Lambs, Chickens and I'm starting with Hogs this year!!! I love 4-H!
I would love to show cattle! :frow I got offered to last year, but I had to turn down the offer, since I was showing a clydesdale. My good friend does show a steer, but I also have a horse, rabbit, dog, sheep, and a llama, so I really don't have the time. I am on my FFA chapter's Judging teams also. :ya :bun

RPC

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It is good to see so many people who love 4-H and FFA. I was in FFA all 4 years of high school and even ran to be a state officer. I was also a 10 year 4-Her where I showed swine 10 years, Dairy beef 10 years, rabbits 3 years, and goats 1 year. I am currently on the 4-H board of directors for my county, the liaison for the Fairgrounds board and co-chair for our county fair auction. I think it is the best youth organization out there. My nieces are city kids so they are the whole reason I have these goats. I buy them, and pay for all the feed and medical expenses and then they put the money they receive from the fair auction into their savings accounts for college. After the first 3 years I start to charge them a little for their market animals because they do have to learn that everything costs money. We are not in it to win, even though it would be nice, I just want them to go out and have fun while learning a great lesson, and responsibility at the same time.

ibreedlionheads

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm in 4-H and FFA. I've been involved with my 4-H poultry club for five years now. I'm the vice president and, even though I'm a senior, I'll still be young enough to participate as a member next year, so I plan on running for president. Unfortunately, I'm not an FFA officer, but I help out with my chapter a lot. Poultry judging is really the only CDE I do, and I did poultry judging through 4-H as well (went to Nationals for it).

I'm trying to start a market duck project in my 4-H club. I never realized how much work and thought goes into things like this.

GoatApprentice

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
House full of 4-Hers here in Frederick, MD. We love it!!! :)

madimorg

Just born
Reaction score
For those who are doing 4-H for meat goats I'd be curious to hear you advice, tips, tricks of the trade, etc... that you use and are familiar with. This is our first year raising a 4H meat goat wether. Ours was born in mid December and goes to fair in early June. Anxious to hear different advice and what you personally do or have heard of people doing to help ensure a nice quality show goat.

Peeka52

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm in FFA and I love it! This is my 2nd year, I was a Jr. Officer my last year and will be running for Officer next year. I've done Creed, Ag. Sales, and Poultry Judging, and was 3rd individually in state. I've done a market lamb, but I am following my passion this year and taking market goats :love This is my first year showing goats, so I really don't know what I'm doing :lol: so tips and pointers would be appreciated. I also show chickens outside the FFA, and breed BBS Bantam Plymouth Rocks and Bantam Barnevelders for exhibition. My life is full of shows and fairs here and there; a poultry show tomorrow, the Spring Classic next weekend, and then the 1st fair in June! I love it though, stress and all.