A few newbie question if yall dont mind.

FlipFlopFarmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yesterday I purchased my first goat as an adult. I kept several as a teen but they fended for themselves with the horses. I purchased a 2 year old boer doe, pregnant with her first kid. I saw on this site that valbazen was a safe dewormer for a pregnant doe, is that correct or is there a better one? I have her in a stall with hay for bedding, and was considering switching to pine shavings, is that okay? What is the best commercial feed for her during and after pregnancy? Does she need any other mineral or vitamin supplements? What are the tell tale signs of imminent delivery?
This goat is a pet, very sweet, and most of my experience with feeding, raising, and vet care is related to horses, cows, chickens, dogs, cats, and well most all farm animals except goats. I have alot of common sense, I just want alot of feedback from this great site please.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Valbazen is NOT a safe wormer for preggos, no, no, no don't give it to her.

I prefer straw for kidding on, but the rest of the time, either straw or shavings, whichever you prefer.

Any goat feed that's labeled as 16% or so should be fine....just make sure it's GOAT feed and not sheep or goat and sheep...same w/ the mineral....a good loose GOAT mineral, anything that has 'sheep' on the bag won't have enough copper IN the bag.

Don't over feed her...that can lead to kidding problems. Hay on demand and a couple cups of goat feed should be ok until she kids.

As far as deworming, her....if she doesn't need it...don't do it....take a fecal sample to a vet to have her checked. Using dewormer on a doe who doesn't need it is a waste of dewormer and a great way to build resistance.
IF she needs it, try ivomec injectable for cattle...1cc per 25#.

Has she ever kidded before?

Soft tail ligamints, making soft 'mahh' noises while looking at her belly / butt, long rope of amber goo, and a tight, hard udder are all signs of imminent labor...but even 'old pros' get fooled by most goats.

FlipFlopFarmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you very much rolls, i am a little jumpy about the dewormer, my horses and cows are on a steady rotation of dewormer. I understand about drug resistence with parasites. i wasnt given much history on this doe, although i was told she hasnt had kids before. The signs of delivery seem to be much the same as with the cows. I will purchase some goat feed tomorrow at TSC, and feed 2 cups a day and she has great grass here still because it hasnt gotten really cold yet, and good quality hay ( not alfalfa).