Alaskan's Journal

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh... 1 of the Musvovy eggs went bad, and exploded before I pulled it.

NASTY!!!! Luckily it only hit one egg, and the rest drained into the base of the incubator.

Nasty, Nasty, nasty!!!

Took some time to clean the 'bator. It did inspire me to toss all obvious clears, and obvious "circles of death". Shipped eggs, so of course a HUGE number were tossed, about half I think.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I almost ran outside buck naked this morning.

:rolleyes:

There I was, in the bedroom, I was changing clothes... and right as I was full on in-between the jammies and day clothes, I spot a huge hawk sitting on the duck coop.

I yelled down at the kids, tried to finish putting on my clothes as fast as I could (which of course meant I was slower than normal :old ), and ran on out.

The entire time I was panic dressing, the hawk was just sitting there on the coop top.

When I ran out it flew off.

I rushed to the coop, and all 5 ducklings were hidden under their heat plate, nice and quiet and still, playing "we are a rock" in full frozen mode.

I told them everything was safe now, and they ran out just fine!

It was a huge hawk, and that is an old tractor. I wasn't sure if it would try to peal up wire etc.

That is one of the reasons I have the tractor right up near the house where we can keep a close eye on it.

By the way.... the kids misheard me!!! They thought I had told them to run out to the trash box.... they were thinking maybe the trash box door had been left open and a bear was getting in.....

The trash box is on the north side of the house... the ducks are on the south side...

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So.... we have put the female geese in with the males.

Still a HUGE size difference. But, the older males are being excellent.

Of course now we have 8 girls plus 4 boys... so 12 tubs of lard in the bottom of the green tractor.

We will have to try to move it daily.
They are too young to have out without full protection, so they will have to stay in the bottom of the green tractor for quite some time.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cool pictures from today. A smallish porcupine waddling on my driveway. There was a giant one over by the church yesterday... but I didn't get a photo of that one.

20240628_162443.jpg

And, I got some sand hill crane photos. It was a family of 4. 2 parents and 2 colts. But of course I could only get photos of 1 of the parents and 1 of the colts. FUZZY baby!

20240628_110953.jpg
20240628_110949.jpg
20240628_110944.jpg

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got up this morning... took a shower since sister-in-law is in town with her family.... and THEN went out to do chores.

I opened the coop part of the green tractor where the smallest chicks are locked up. Got their waterer to pour it out and refill (they had dumped bedding into the water). And one chick flew up and over the wall and out onto the ground in the wide open world.

I, in my brilliance, then pop the waterer and splash my entire set of clean clothes AND my face, in a nasty filthy mess of chick bedding, poo, and water.

I then gently set the waterer parts on top of the tractor, reached down and easily grabbed the chick.

So.... nothing bad happened... except for my clean clothes and face no longer being clean......

I am thinking that I will move those chicks out of the tractor tonight!