All the BYC people - please help!!!!

zzGypsy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
kla37 said:
Chickens are pretty darn tough, since they're avian not mammals. Their immune systems are pretty impressive! The problem with a fluid filled cyst on a shoulder is it may inhibit wing motility. If the needle is sterilized first, it should be all right. You can spray a little AluShield on the site afterwards, or some BluKote.
wipe the area down with alcohol first too... you can pick up bacteria on a sterilized needle as it goes through the skin. alcohol helps anyway...

chickenprnces

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
zzGypsy said:
don't know if this happens on chickens, but we've had it happen on sheep - huge bulge on a shoulder, size of a goose egg, slightly squishy, not hard. vet suggested we sterilize a needle and try to draw fluid. got a little blood and some clear liquid, probably serum, no puss. vet said "bruise with swelling". two days later, we had puss leaking from the needle hole. vet said "yeah, that sometimes happens when you lance a bruise - you introduce germs and get an infection". so we created a problem where there wasn't one. once we had puss, we had to open it further, flush it, and give antibiotics.
Ok! It could be a bruise underneath the bubble because my darling (not always) daughter dropped a 1 gallon waterer on her head and neck yesterday! I am gonna leave it be for a few days and see if it goes away!

kla37

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
chickenprnces said:
zzGypsy said:
don't know if this happens on chickens, but we've had it happen on sheep - huge bulge on a shoulder, size of a goose egg, slightly squishy, not hard. vet suggested we sterilize a needle and try to draw fluid. got a little blood and some clear liquid, probably serum, no puss. vet said "bruise with swelling". two days later, we had puss leaking from the needle hole. vet said "yeah, that sometimes happens when you lance a bruise - you introduce germs and get an infection". so we created a problem where there wasn't one. once we had puss, we had to open it further, flush it, and give antibiotics.
Ok! It could be a bruise underneath the bubble because my darling (not always) daughter dropped a 1 gallon waterer on her head and neck yesterday! I am gonna leave it be for a few days and see if it goes away!
That could certainly explain it. Watch it for a day or two. But act if it seems to get worse.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd leave it be....sometimes the best thing to do is nothing. If she's eating, moving, drinking fine I'd just observe her and let nature heal the area.

chickenprnces

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I'd leave it be....sometimes the best thing to do is nothing. If she's eating, moving, drinking fine I'd just observe her and let nature heal the area.
She is acting like normal! We only found it because we we are at our regularly scheduled worming time! My son catches them up so I can ivermectin them! He immediately oticed something not right when he started cuddling her and he touched her shoulder smoothing down her wing! She is eating, drinking, playing with her friends, and even trying to peck the crap outta me when I try to hold her (she likes my son better)!! I'm gonna leave her be and recheck her Thursday after the storm! Got a lot of work to do to make sure all the kiddies are ready for it! Tarps and lights and constant water changes! Gonna be a fun storm this year! My first with anything besides a dog and some cats! OH BOY!!!!!!