Anatolian Pyrenees

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
there will be insulation with a installed heat lamp fixture.
You won't need a heat lamp, but can put some straw bedding in for cold winters. Thereason most LGDs don't use a doghouse is because they don't have a good view of their flocks. Since the doghouse will be in or near the chicken yard, he will probably use it in bad weather. Unless he climbs unti the chicken coop! LOL BTW, you do know that you will have to add a door on the top level to prevent him from helping himself to the dog food when he gets bigger.

Beautiful job on the dog house. Love the roofline - so graceful.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
You won't need a heat lamp, but can put some straw bedding in for cold winters. Thereason most LGDs don't use a doghouse is because they don't have a good view of their flocks. Since the doghouse will be in or near the chicken yard, he will probably use it in bad weather. Unless he climbs unti the chicken coop! LOL BTW, you do know that you will have to add a door on the top level to prevent him from helping himself to the dog food when he gets bigger.

Beautiful job on the dog house. Love the roofline - so graceful.
Thanks,
I don't know if you know or have experience, but these temperatures here drop down to -40°F and this year topped out at -65°F wind chill. He will have the best view, looking straight at the Waddle Wattle in from a distance, I thought of his pen as where would one want to put a camera. Everyone puts their surveillance cameras looking out, not looking in, all criminals hide their face when the situation is in control coming up on the target, but upon the committing the crime they are thinking they have won or fleeing and not thinking of hiding their identity.

R2elk

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you know or have experience, but these temperatures here drop down to -40°F
I have been through those kinds of temperatures, -40°F last winter and -34°F so far this winter. I would never and never did give supplemental heat to an outdoor dog. It prevents them from growing their coat as heavy as it needs to get to protect them from the ambient temperatures.

I did give them well insulated dog houses they could curl up in if they chose too.

The snow covering does not mean he is freezing. It means that he is insulated well enough that he is not losing his body temperature to melt the snow.

Lonesome_P1000097_01-24-2009-001.jpg

He did have a shed he could go into to get out of the weather. The main time he used his shed was in the summer for the shade it provided.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Score one for the Pooch, seen something before the guinea fowl and started going off for first time I have heard him. In his house barking at something, whatever it was it was gone before I could grab the rifle a few feet away and rush out the door. Need a PTZ camera so I can see next time, make mental note see what I can seen and go back and look at footage. Game cameras can't hold that much video/pictures.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The picture that @R2elk posted, and @Mini Horses comment, made me think about the cows in the winter... That type of snow is what I would much rather see on the cows, rather than the cold wet SOAKING through to the skin rains we get. It is true that a snow cover like that is much better for the cows... they can keep their body heat regulated... something that they cannot do once they are wet down to the skin.
We do not get the really fierce winds here, but even a 5-10 mph wind when they are soaked, and temps are 40 is really hard on them.