Anyone still milking by hand?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome.gif

Jerseys are so cute. We used to have some. I don't miss milking the short little cows but, I sure do miss their cute faces around here.

pokacow

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Beekissed I plan on milking my Dexter next summer when she calves, sharing w/the calf. I want butter for sure & maybe cheese if I feel daring! Are you on the bee forum too? Jody

NATIVO

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi everyone...
I have been hand milking 2 cows but just bought a surge bucket!!... I'm also the one that recently bought the Jersey that had mastitis in her rear qtrs.... It's all clear now but we are still having problems milking out the rear due to the short teats.

I also hand milk my goats but have let them dry up so I could spend more time with the cows this summer.

By spring I will be milking 4 goats and 2 cows, so I think the surge bucket is a great investment....

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
What inflations are you using on the surge milker? Continental, vac saver, jet flo bodies? Narrow bore inflations will help with small teats.

I also found that the narrow bore "silicone inflations" work better for me with a jersey that has very small back teats.

chickennoodles

Just born
Reaction score
gotajersey said:
I do, I have several Jerseys now. All of them are milked by hand for the first month, then I get bottle calves to take over. I will keep one milked for my own use on a weekly basis.
I am curious about this- you milk your cow once a week for your cheese production? Is this enough to keep her "tame" enough to milk, and in production enough to get enough milk for your needs?

miron28

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
i all ways wanted to start a diary farm we looked at buying one about a year ago but they are expense of! the cheapest one we found was $800,000.00. i wish i had the money just to start one! :/

chicken_boy_Kurt

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get a cow next year and I will be milking her by hand.