Are Netherland Dwarf Rabbits natually mean???

Arabiansnob

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
when i was youger my brother brought home this little tiny grey bunny with a white nose...he was adorable!!!! His name was Grey Baby and he was a netherland dwarf.......and he was MEAN!! and i just thought it was him being him........we couldent stick our hands in the cage to get his ood bowl or clean him out with out him attacting and bitting me. He would have to trap him in his hutch to get his food bowl and trap him in his run to clean him out. i thought mabey he is just not friendly. Then a cupple weeks ago my friend said she had a bunnie she got and dident want her anymore. and everyone know i would take in any animal that is free and she told me she would give me this rabbit. so i ovously to her. When i got her i found out she was a netherland dwarf. And she is mean!! grunts and trys to bite.......i am over "joyed" with this rabbit .......buut she is now best friends with my lonley meat rabbit cross that lost her sister this summer.....and i really don't want to brake them apart. But ahh just wanting to know if they are natually mean??

Heartlandrabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have three Netherlands and none of them are mean. I don't think they are naturally mean, it's kind of like people, some people are just rude and there are others that are very sweet. I have never had a mean rabbit and I think maybe it may be on how you raise them. I would not consider them just naturally mean, some just have that personality.

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I had a very sweet Netherland dwarf at one time. They can have wonderful personalities.

Rabbits can learn to be less mean and more tame, give your new bunny some time. Maybe it won't be as mean as you think.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dwarfs' personalities (fursonalities?) can go all over the place. I have had Dwarfs that were fall-out-in-your-arms friendly, and I have had some that were real terrors. Some of my kids' favorite bunnies in my rabbitry are Dwarfs, also some they wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole!

I have a lovely scar on my wrist that was put there by one of the latter type the day before my daughter was born. Since I never, ever want that kind of thing to happen to a child (or an adult, come to that), any rabbit that displays that sort of behavior to me has zero chance of contributing to the next generation. A certain amount of temperament seems to be inheritable, so I insist that my breeders be at least docile, if not particularly friendly. Some bunnies are wonderful as babies, but when the ol' hormones hit 'em, they can do a radical shift in behavior. I have had a couple of does that, while reasonable themselves, gave birth to bucks that tried to eat me alive when they hit puberty. Those does went off the active breeders list.

When ARBA's judges were finally given the power to disqualify a rabbit for being vicious, I almost cheered! Nobody should have to put up with an obnoxious rabbit; there are too many nice ones out there to make it necessary. Hopefully, this will add incentive to other breeders to add temperament to the list of things they select for when choosing breeders. If your rabbits are gorgeous, but so cranky you can't show them, what's the point?

woodleighcreek

The Rabbit Queen
Reaction score
I used to have a Netherland Dwarf and she was the sweetest rabbit ever. Her name was Cuddles. I never had any problems with her. I did have one though, Dandelion, who wasn't as sweet as Cuddles. She would bite and scratch me occasionally, but it was never to bad. So no, I dont think it
Netherland dwarfs are mean. I once had a New Zealand who scared up my whole arms, chest, and face. That was a mean bunny!

Zephyr Farms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Generally, Netherland Dwarfs are quite sweet. I have to agree with Bunnylady, though. Sometimes they can be as mean as snakes. I know some of my family's favorite bunnies are the Netherlands!:D

MiniRexGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I was told by a friend of mine who bred Mini Rex at the time that they are very mean and she didn't recommend them. Though I can't remember if that was from personal experience.

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We have had many breeds over the 30 years ... giant to dwarf ... there is not one breed I would say is mean ... ... well I have heard from several ARBA judges that Brit Petites have teeth & attitude!

We treat all the buns, big or little, here like angoras. They get kissed and spoiled. Have never been met with teeth for the kiss! I think it is more in how you raise, train, handle & cull (if necessary). I would not keyhole any one breed into this catagory ...

Good luck ...

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I'm sure you will find super mean and super sweet rabbits in all breeds. I had a Netherland Dwarf but she was very sweet. I did also have her spayed. Maybe hormones are playing a role. Also maybe they just don't like a hand coming in at them. I had a mixed rabbit that was very mean if she was in a cage because she hated having a hand coming in at her. When she was on the floor and in a 4x4 area, she was just fine.