Are we a bit over the top?

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have a generator that is capable of powering our house & the barn ;)
The temperature isn't constantly 58 either. During the time that we had -3 out it got down to 38 in the barn.
No criticism felt in any way :thumbsup
That's awesome!! You have lucky critters!

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Our7Wonders said:
We have a generator that is capable of powering our house & the barn ;)
The temperature isn't constantly 58 either. During the time that we had -3 out it got down to 38 in the barn.
No criticism felt in any way :thumbsup
That's awesome!! You have lucky critters!
Or insanely pampered ones! :lol:
We are going to be building a water system for each of them(once we have the extra money to do so). Just a question: Does anyone know if collected rain water would be harmful to our little herd? or to our flock of chickens?

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
Just a question: Does anyone know if collected rain water would be harmful to our little herd? or to our flock of chickens?
I think it depends on what the surface material is that it's collected from. I've read that standard shingles give off some nasty chemicals so be sure to read up on that further.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
chandasue said:
Livinwright Farm said:
Just a question: Does anyone know if collected rain water would be harmful to our little herd? or to our flock of chickens?
I think it depends on what the surface material is that it's collected from. I've read that standard shingles give off some nasty chemicals so be sure to read up on that further.
The barn has a metal roof :) so toxins from shingles won't be a problem. Just didn't know if they handled the bonus nitrogen well or not.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have a cistern in the house and rain barrels at the barn. Everything the goats, chickens, dogs, cats, etc drink is collected rain water. Everything we bathe in, cook with, wash with and otherwise use is collected rain water. I buy bottled water for us humans to drink, just because of taste.

No problems. We do make sure the goats have a good mineral and we copper bolus them annually.

Calliopia

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We won't have a similar set up until next Spring but a friend waters her goats, chickens and garden with collected rain water off of their house and carport roof.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
jodief100 said:
We have a cistern in the house and rain barrels at the barn. Everything the goats, chickens, dogs, cats, etc drink is collected rain water.

No problems. We do make sure the goats have a good mineral and we copper bolus them annually.
Cool, good to know!

crazyland

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Doesn't sound to far out there after what my husband just told me he wants to build!
He wants to make it a western theme with the fake fronts. The horses (whenever we get one) will have the sheriffs office, the goats get the inn and the chickens get the general store!

iamcuriositycat

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Wow. My goats are wondering if they can come live with you?

They live in an ancient metal shed with a tarp over the top to keep the rain out. Except during the day when they are in their portable pasture with a plastic dogloo for shelter.

Of course, we have a much milder climate here in Charlotte, NC, so they don't really get cold. But I do wish I had a heated bucket--it's on my wishlist--to keep their water clear all day and night.

And I do plan to build them a nice, cozy wooden shed at some point--the metal one was really supposed to be temporary and we just never updated it.

You'll have to send me the plans for your ritzy place! :D

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
iamcuriositycat said:
Wow. My goats are wondering if they can come live with you?

They live in an ancient metal shed with a tarp over the top to keep the rain out. Except during the day when they are in their portable pasture with a plastic dogloo for shelter.

Of course, we have a much milder climate here in Charlotte, NC, so they don't really get cold. But I do wish I had a heated bucket--it's on my wishlist--to keep their water clear all day and night.

And I do plan to build them a nice, cozy wooden shed at some point--the metal one was really supposed to be temporary and we just never updated it.

You'll have to send me the plans for your ritzy place! :D
Are you talking to me or PattySh ?