Baymule’s Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Whew! It’s been a day! Therapy was canceled this morning, so I went to Crockett for dog food and horse feed. Was coming down the driveway and saw Frimplepants out in the field with lambs. EEEERRRRKKKKKK! Stopped car, leaped gate in a single bound on my bionic knee, (not really but it sounds fun) and ran to Frimplepants. The other ewes were trying to steal her babies. Some were licking the lambs, Frimplepants was freaking out. The black and white lamb was following other ewes, Baa baaing and trying to nurse on them. So I got them penned up, dogs too.

B1570759-74A8-46E9-888E-16139EDDECF4.jpeg

The black and white lamb is a girl! The white one was shivering, Frimplepants went to work on her, but she was flopping around, trying to get up.

96479D9A-D37A-40B4-93D5-657059B5F15C.jpeg

Poor little ewe’s front legs were so bent, she could barely get up. She tried to nurse, but kept falling down. I picked up the lambs, with Frimplepants following, yelling all the way, and put them in a small pen. I let the ewes and dogs out.

Sentry was going bonkers, wanting the babies. He stuck his head through the cow panel and licked the white baby. Sheba and Carson wanted the babies too. The only one on the farm not trying to lick or steal babies was the horse. LOL

4B759EA9-FC3E-4920-92DA-9E8819317C2A.jpeg

I texted Chase, the neighbor who keeps me supplied in pallets and asked for 4 more. I tried putting the white ewe up to the teat, but she was weak, her legs were bent and she just wasn’t able. I tried tying Frimplepants up and milking her. Uhhh….nope. My sweet, rub my tummy ewe turned into a tiger with no teeth or claws, but the implication was clear. Obviously this wasn’t working, so I called TSC in Crockett and they had colostrum. I wrapped the ewe up in a towel, stuffed her in my sweat hoodie next to my belly for warmth and left.

At TSC, I bought the colostrum, pulled a baby bottle out of my pocket and asked for warm water. I had the ewe snuggled in my sweat hoodie with her head hanging out. A lady, Tammy, took the bottle, returned with warm water and mixed the colostrum. Customers were smiling and asking questions about the ewe and I told everyone that I was getting EXCEPTIONAL SERVICE. I went and sat on a pallet of 50# dog food bags and fed the lamb. Then I went to Walmart for milk to make formula. People stopped me to see the lamb and one woman was utterly enchanted, petting the lamb and said I made her day. I even got my picture taken.

794BB9C7-D107-433C-9BB5-77E938D7B6B6.jpeg

It wasn’t long after I got back home that Chase showed up with pallets. I put the ewe lamb back with Frimplepants. Warm and strengthened by the warm colostrum, the lamb struggled to her wobbly feet and was able to nurse on her momma! She didn’t get much and collapsed. I fixed her a bottle and Chase fed her. He was delighted. I explained that I’m leaving on Sunday for vacation to Disney World with daughter and family for 6 days. Would he be interested in bottle feeding the lamb while I am gone? He was glad to.
“Good! Then she will be yours! “
It was decided that I will keep her until Saturday, make sure she has 2 days of colostrum and well started on formula.
He and his wife have a 10 year old girl, this little lamb will be well cared for and loved.

We got a good pallet shelter built and enlarged the pen.

9D613404-A738-4CA9-8537-E5714B6C93E0.jpeg

Poor little ewe lamb! I think her legs are so bent from being squished in the womb. I’ve already started therapy on her. I’ve rubbed her legs, very gently straightening them. They won’t straighten but I’m trying to stretch the muscles and tendons.

12C4686B-9C38-4754-8062-BB9854FFBD59.jpeg

Chase left to go home. I let the ewes in their night pen to feed them. They crowded up to see the lambs.

8E5971C8-DE3A-4ADB-A94B-904E9075456D.jpeg

Sheba and Sentry were having fits to see the babies. Both examined the babies , then laid close to the white ewe lamb. It’s like they knew something is wrong with her. Even Carson wanted to be close to the lambs.

94DF0E88-CFAA-4559-BF3D-25D6F211F775.jpeg

The black and white ewe lamb snuggled in deep hay in the new Pallet Palace.

2A13C744-5274-4135-830F-42CFE6FA5431.jpeg

The white ewe lamb is in a box, in the bathroom. I don’t want to leave her out in the cold, she is weak. I’ve just got to get her strength up and feed her. I’m confident that with some TLC and therapy on her legs, she will be fine. She will go back outside in the day with her mom, in at night. Saturday she will go to her new family.

Attachments

• 106958A9-39D0-4095-8BEC-6195F1241662.jpeg
    106958A9-39D0-4095-8BEC-6195F1241662.jpeg
    507.6 KB · Views: 72

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Being outside during the day with supplemental bottles, will give her opportunity to get exercise. Frimplepants wants her and was encouraging her to get up and suck. I’ll give her a good start, before I go on vacation, she will go to her new home.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need to get some MuSe in her for the legs... it is especially for weak tendons/muscles/white muscle disease. It is basically E and Selenium... You can't buy it over the counter due to the laws about supplemental selenium. Call the vet and ask... you can also use BoSe which is for cattle so be careful of the dose. But it will help with strengthening the tendons etc.
It does look like some deformity but alot can be fixed while everything is still "soft"....

Good save....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need to get some MuSe in her for the legs... it is especially for weak tendons/muscles/white muscle disease. It is basically E and Selenium... You can't buy it over the counter due to the laws about supplemental selenium. Call the vet and ask... you can also use BoSe which is for cattle so be careful of the dose. But it will help with strengthening the tendons etc.
It does look like some deformity but alot can be fixed while everything is still "soft"....

Good save....
I already did that! I had a ram lamb born walking on his pasterns, several years ago. He looked like he was wearing flip flops. I treated him with the BoSe, did the same with this little lamb.

Trip, my male Great Pyrenees, took over on that floppy foot ram lamb. He nudged it, making the lamb walk, for a couple of weeks. In 3 weeks the ram lamb was walking on his toes. I miss that dog.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
White ewe lamb has had her breakfast bottle. I have to be at therapy at 7:30 this morning to make up for yesterday. I’ll put her in the pen with Frimplepants before I leave, unless Frimplepants has developed a problem with the baby overnight. That does happen, ewes sniff butts and if it’s not “their” milk they smell, they reject the strange baby.