Baymule’s Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Frimplepants wouldn’t take her back, I wasn’t expecting her to. But she is in the pen, I fed her and she gets up and wobbles around. Do at least she is getting exercise.

Ewenique had twins last night. Black one and a white one. Fortune smiled on me and the white one is a ram, the black one is a EWE!

I have 2 black colored ewe lambs!

1CCF5189-F634-4C92-BC08-1F6CFCB9724A.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We’ll gheesh. Ewenique’s white ram lamb has floppy feet, all 4. His front knees buckle just a little, but he can get up ok and suck. I gave him some Bo-Se and nutra-drench. Looking out the window, he got up and ran to his mommy. I think he will be ok.

I keep mineral out for the ewes, Premiere 1 sheep trace mineral with selenium.
Maybe the ewes are stressed or depleted because of the moving twice? I don’t know.

Neighbors are going to pick up the ewe lamb tomorrow. She has been outside in the pen all day. I go out to feed her, she is stronger now. I’ll bring her in tonight.

Ewenique’s ram lamb.

BECFDEEF-3155-4548-B946-45750CD66B89.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m tired. I worked ewes through the chutes today. I trimmed feet, back ewe in a corner, pick up foot and hold on until she quit kicking. All bent over, trimming feet, no wonder I’m tired.

I tried the sheep chair. Somebody forgot to tell the ewes that I back them up to it and they fall back in it helpless.

It went more like
Chase ewe.
Grab ewe, too far from chair now.
Oh wait! Just back her up!
Her transmission is broke and doesn’t go into reverse.
Instead of backing up, she lunged forward.
The chair is back there stupid!
Wrestle ewe to the evil chair.
She skips the part about backing up and falling in it straight and neat.
She falls in sorta kinda half way sideways.
She did NOT read the instructions where she can’t get out until I tip chair forward.
Noooo! Don’t jump out of the chair!
I straddle ewe and chair and sit on her.
I feel like I’m in a rowboat, her feet are paddling.
I grab a foot and proceed to trim.
Back feet go ok, I’m backwards to front feet.
I twist sideways and grab a front foot, do trim.
I get up.
Ewe does too.
Hey! You are not supposed to do that!
So much for tipping the damn chair.

Review on sheep chair; it would probably be easier with 2 people and sheep that read the instructions.
With one person it is a workout! I’m tired and worn out now. Think I’ll take a nap.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m tired. I worked ewes through the chutes today. I trimmed feet, back ewe in a corner, pick up foot and hold on until she quit kicking. All bent over, trimming feet, no wonder I’m tired.

I tried the sheep chair. Somebody forgot to tell the ewes that I back them up to it and they fall back in it helpless.

It went more like
Chase ewe.
Grab ewe, too far from chair now.
Oh wait! Just back her up!
Her transmission is broke and doesn’t go into reverse.
Instead of backing up, she lunged forward.
The chair is back there stupid!
Wrestle ewe to the evil chair.
She skips the part about backing up and falling in it straight and neat.
She falls in sorta kinda half way sideways.
She did NOT read the instructions where she can’t get out until I tip chair forward.
Noooo! Don’t jump out of the chair!
I straddle ewe and chair and sit on her.
I feel like I’m in a rowboat, her feet are paddling.
I grab a foot and proceed to trim.
Back feet go ok, I’m backwards to front feet.
I twist sideways and grab a front foot, do trim.
I get up.
Ewe does too.
Hey! You are not supposed to do that!
So much for tipping the damn chair.

Review on sheep chair; it would probably be easier with 2 people and sheep that read the instructions.
With one person it is a workout! I’m tired and worn out now. Think I’ll take a nap.
:lol: - I can laugh - been there. BUT --- I outsmarted them (mostly) lassoed sheep walked to the chair (which was a struggle) getting to the chair a quick turn, lift/heft and shove into chair. The char was in a corner so I did have the side of the barn to "help"! Some I had to lay on top of, some were good and a few ---- well didn't read the instructions -- though I ~should have~ changed the width of the chair - give them too much and they just roll on out it, a bit wiser to the catch and walk process. I'll be better at adjusting the chair next time - and I'll have a fat velcro strap to try out ala seatbelt.

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Most of yesterday and this morning I got my sheep working equipment set up. I bought 6 hog panels and had one left over. I made a long race that included a hog panel spanning across the round bale set. I can easily take it down to set another round bale. It’s bowed outwards to give the ewes room to munch on hay. I set this up across the back of the ewe lot and Ringo’s lot, ending in a sorting gate.

I loaded it up, one piece at a time on my wagon.

View attachment 95513

It’s a dog’s life.

View attachment 95514

I got one guillotine gate up. Ewes were enjoying the hay.

View attachment 95515

I set T-posts to tie the gates and hog panels to. Bright blue hay twine is useful, durable and decorative too.

View attachment 95517

The sheep found the wagon and soon had blue hay string scattered, bit holes in the plastic bag holding the brass clamps that connect two panels, brass clamps courtesy of @Ridgetop. I reached for the ratchet and socket. Gone. I had just picked up hay string, even going out in the pasture to retrieve some that was tangled on a ewe. Sheba was trailing her, it just didn’t look right and Sheba was alerting me to it. Back to the wagon, found the wrachet!

View attachment 95516

I had to lay the pieces out to see how I could fit it all out to make it work. When it looked ok, I pounded T-posts and secured everything with lovely blue hay string. I put up 2 guilliotine gates, the stop gate and sorting gate. Those 4 pieces now cost $1,635. BJ and I bought them used for $500, when the new cost was $900. Almost doubled in cost now.

I got everything put up and tied together. There is a long race from first gate to the second gate, to go across the hay bale, and so I can get ALL of them in and closed up. Looks pretty good.

View attachment 95518

2-way sorting gate. The hog panel on the ground got T-posted and tied in place, plus another hog panel to the fence that makes a holding pen. The second panel is clipped and can be swung over to the fence out of the way when not in use.

View attachment 95519

The long race across the hay bale. That panel is removable so I can put in a new hay bale.

View attachment 95520

WE WANT IN!!!!!!!

View attachment 95521

I did kinda a squat/crawl through the gates, back and forth, showing ewes the way. Some caught on real quick, some didn’t. My new knee did real good with the abuse I heaped on it. It doesn’t even hurt.

I open their pen gate, it’s half a cow panel, and clip it to a hog panel leading to the first gate. They HAVE to walk all the way through to the sorting gate to get out on the pasture. By doing this a few days, it won’t be some strange sheep eating monster. I’ll be able to work them, take fecal samples, worm, give shots and trim feet. I’ll leave it up all the time and soon they will go in and out with no problem.

The sorting gate and holding pen will help me separate the young ewes going to Cooper, across the driveway.
tons of work, but it looks like a wonderful set up!!!! great job